Re: MD Squonk wrote a Review

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 18:01:24 GMT

    Squonk,

    Squonk said:
    Your 'essay' begins by obscuring the central topic of Quality, moves
    swiftly on to general philosophology, and ends with a Rortython. The
    philosophology, which is mostly pretty obvious, is presented as if
    revealing staggering originality and insight. This is simply not the case.
    To say organisms learn and apply from experience isn't hot stuff no matter
    how extensively you dress it up. And to extend that to abstract
    intellectual processes doesn't mean metaphysics has to be erased as a bad
    dream. Metaphysics is largely about curiosity; about thinking about those
    things imagination has access to in moments of madness.
    A good overview of the history of philosophy in terms outlined by your
    extensive quotes from Rorty, while never very far from interesting, is for
    the most part straight forward.
    Along the way, Quality becomes unreal. Is Quality real?
    You have to explain Quality no matter how your organism responds to it? Or
    are you telling the forum that the 'it' of the Zen master is not real?

    In one paragraph of your magnus opus, you read something into Pirsig that
    you haven't actually read yet! Laugh? I nearly stopped!

    Matt:
    Oh God, Squonk, you are so close I can finally feel your breath on my neck.
     If only you would once point to some specifics that I could address, maybe
    your rages would look more like a critique and less like slander.

    But let me help:

    Squonk: "Your 'essay' begins by obscuring the central topic of Quality,
    moves swiftly on to general philosophology, and ends with a Rortython."

    Matt: Good introduction; it sets out what you are about to show.

    Squonk: "The philosophology, which is mostly pretty obvious, is presented
    as if revealing staggering originality and insight."

    Matt: Okay...examples would help because I have said over and over that
    what I'm doing isn't very creative. If people got the impression that I
    thought quite highly of myself and my originality, I apologize. That isn't
    the case. Like Rorty, I view myself as a syncretist and an underlaborer: I
    put people together, synthesize them and see what pops out and I clear the
    ground of what I see as unneeded conceptual debris. I figured my heavy,
    over-effusive borrowing from Rorty would forestall the impression of
    "staggering originality and insight," but....

    Squonk: "To say organisms learn and apply from experience isn't hot stuff
    no matter how extensively you dress it up. And to extend that to abstract
    intellectual processes doesn't mean metaphysics has to be erased as a bad
    dream."

    Matt: God, I wish I knew where I said all this. But, you are right as
    usual Squonk, organisms learning and applying from experience isn't new or
    hot stuff. I wish I knew where I did all this "dressing up" and abstraction.

    Squonk: "Metaphysics is largely about curiosity; about thinking about those
    things imagination has access to in moments of madness."

    Matt: Hmm, very interesting definition. Your engagement on this
    metaphilosophical issue, however, is a bit underdeveloped. Like many, it
    consists of the bald assertion that I'm wrong and you are right. I would
    hope a good metaphilosophical engagement would consist of weighing the pros
    and cons of the various definitions. You see, when you read somebody
    else's writing, and you find that they are using different definitions than
    you, it doesn't help your case to say, "They are wrong," and dismiss it.
    It's even worse when you go on and critique their consequences by assuming
    your own definition: that's question begging. My advice is to accept the
    definitions for the purposes of understanding what is being written, and if
    the consequences start to go in a direction you don't like, you have reason
    to think that an alternative definition might be in order. For instance,
    in the case of me getting metaphysics all wrong, most people dismiss my
    consequences because they've assumed a different definition. As it
    happens, most people's assumed definition of "metaphysics" looks exactly
    like the definition of "philosophy" I've borrowed from Wilfrid Sellars.
    What happens then is that those who end up wanting to get rid of the same
    thing that I do, hypostatizations, make their dismissive critique look more
    like a needless quibble. Why not happily agree with the parts of what I
    say that you agree with, and simply translate it into the vocabulary that
    you are using. I see no problem with that. It's what great syncretists do
    all the time: co-opt people for their own projects. I'm thinking of people
    like Pirsig, Wilber, and Rorty.

    Squonk: "A good overview of the history of philosophy in terms outlined by
    your extensive quotes from Rorty, while never very far from interesting, is
    for the most part straight forward."

    Matt: True, good point. Never said that it wasn't straight forward.
    However, it can become controversial if you come across someone who would
    offer a completely different overview of the history of philosophy, of
    which there are many who would do so.

    Squonk: "Along the way, Quality becomes unreal. Is Quality real?
    You have to explain Quality no matter how your organism responds to it? Or
    are you telling the forum that the 'it' of the Zen master is not real?"

    Matt: I'm not sure what you are saying that I'm saying here or where I said
    any of this. Very strange. All I remember ever saying about Quality is
    that it is the ultimate metaphor, we will never be able to know it, yet we
    are always causally connected to it. Never have I said it is not real.
    Quite the contrary.

    Squonk: "In one paragraph of your magnus opus, you read something into
    Pirsig that you haven't actually read yet! Laugh? I nearly stopped!"

    Matt: This seems like the big finale, but I've no idea what you could be
    refering to. That's to bad. I'm sure all of my intellectual enemies would
    love to read the paragraph you are refering to. In fact, I would love to
    read the paragraph you are refering to. If there is anything horrendously
    objectionable to the paragraph, I would love to be able to respond to the
    objection, or qualify what I wrote, or simply backdown wholesale from it.
    It's how we grow intellectually.