Re: MD Heroes, ethnocentrism, Qualtiy, and War

From: bahna@rpi.edu
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 13:57:45 GMT

    Platt and Matt,

    My quote was:
    “This means that when the secret police come, when the torturers
    Violate the innocent, there is nothing to be said to them of the form ‘There
    is something within you which you are betraying. Though you embody the
    practices of a totalitarian society which will endure forever, there is
    something beyond those practices which condemns you.’”

    Platts Quote was:
    There are no objective standards by which to evaluate or criticize social and
    political practices. No matter what is done to the citizens of a country,
    they can have no objective grounds on which to protest. Once men could
    criticize political dictators. ‘There is something within you which you are
    betraying. Though you embody the practices of a totalitarian society which
    will endure forever, there is something beyond those practices which condemns
    you.’ We can no longer say that. Now we know that there is no knowledge, no
    values, no standards. Now we
    must accept the fact that we have not once seen the Truth, and so will
    not, intuitively, recognize it when we see it again. This means that when the
    secret police come, when the torturers violate the innocent, there is nothing
    to be said to them.”

    The difference between the two quotes is “Once men could criticize political
    dictators,” and “This means that when the secret police come, when the
    torturers violate the innocent, there is nothing to be said to them” in
    Platt’s quote. Rorty never said the first phrase, and in the latter one
    Platt has removed the qualifier, “…of the form ‘There is something within you
    which you are betraying.” So, the two quotes are dramatically different in
    meaning. Platt was trying to be cute and twist Rorty words around to suit
    his purpose. Of course, we can criticize political dictators. We just can’t
    make an appeal to some absolutes. We have to criticize the dictator for
    imposing a political system on individuals limiting the freedom of
    individuals in their society. We don’t have any appeal to an absolute truth,
    only an appeal to history and experience which demonstrates to us that
    democracy is a better system. Individual rights should be respected above
    national rights. Societies that put the individual above national interests
    are better societies. Not because it is a “natural law,” but because it
    allows humans to “cope” with their environment better. And, in the second
    phrase, Platt removes the most important part the Rorty quote. There is
    something to be said to the secret police. Mainly, “Get the hell out of my
    house.” We just cannot say to them, “You are betraying your true form. You
    were not meant to be a violent and ruthless torturer. Your true nature is to
    be peaceful, loving and democratic.”

    What needs to be said to the secret police and the torturers is that they are
    not useful parts of our society and it is our responsibility to create a
    society that does not value these institutions in society. BTW, a recent
    times/CBS poll said that 64% of Americans believe torture is justified under
    some circumstances. So, I guess, we have a long way to go before we do
    create such a society.

    Andy