Re: MD The Quality of removing Saddam Hussein from power.

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 23:09:55 GMT

    Dear Sam,

    I argued 9 Feb 2003 23:03:55 +0100:
    'Much more inspections -as France has proposed-, backed (yes) by UN (not
    mainly USA) forces is the way to go now, I think. Keeping a closer watch on
    the Iraq regime might even be used to ensure that the imports which are
    allowed benefit the population (as intended) and not only the regime. To
    help the regime accept (by playing
    on their pretence to be serving the interests of the population) the
    sanctions could be gradually lifted (lessening the suffering of the
    population) the more external checks the regime accepts on its operation.'

    You replied 3 Mar 2003 12:02:32 -0000:
    'I think that a) inspections are not the issue and b) there is a good
    humanitarian case for intervention (as with Kosovo). However, were it the
    case that this was done via UN forces, led by determined UN leadership, and
    with consequent massive reinvestment etc, that would undoubtedly be better
    than the present proposal. I just don't think it is an option - perhaps it
    is something which grass roots pressure could make into an option in the
    (very) long run, but it isn't available now.'

    If you mean that the issue is whether Saddam Hussein, as a dictator that
    maltreats the people he rules, should be removed from power, increased
    inspections that limit his space for maneuver ARE part of the issue, if
    outright removing him from power by external military force entails too many
    risks for the Iraqi people, for the rest of the region and for the world as
    a whole.
    There is a good humanitarian case for intervention by a kind of global
    police force in Iraq, in North-Korea and in lots of other countries where
    people are structurally maltreated by their governments or where their
    governments are not able or willing to protect them against maltreatment by
    other forces. There is NO good humanitarian case under present or ideal
    international law for intervention in these countries by the US. The US
    simply doesn't fit the job description of a good global policeman, because
    of its commitment to use its power mainly where its national interests lie.
    'Humanitarian' intervention by the US (and consequent strengthening of the
    pattern that the US does as it pleases) may well postpone the prospect of a
    democratic global government with global policing power.
    A democratic global government with global policing power IS an option
    available to Bush now. He could pass over the supreme command of US forces
    to Kofi Annan requiring democratisation of the UN in return. Getting
    agreement on democratisation (voting power relative to population sizes,
    gradual raising of requirements for representativeness of governments if
    they want to be have a vote) in UN, World Bank, International Monetary Fund
    etc. might prove to be much easier than blackmailing Security Council
    members into sanctioning the wars the US wants to fight to protect its own
    interests.

    Our views on Christianity indeed appear to be bridgeable. Your understanding
    of the doctrine of the Fall as I understand it is - approximately (-; - that
    we are forced to choose between bad and worse. You already confessed that
    lack of faith might keep you from trying ways out of such deadlocks. In
    MoQish: it's just static PATTERNS we are talking about, not absolute
    determination, that forces us. Trust God, trust DQ, be open to it, and other
    options will show themselves.
    I only understand 'grace' in the expression 'the grace of God as shown in
    the life of ...' in Quaker eulogies for the deceased, probably because 'sin'
    is for me (indeed) only a matter of over-identification with static patterns
    of value. I don't know how that relates to your '100% Protestant
    understanding' of 'grace'.

    I agree that 'we need to feed our social level static patterns just as much
    as we need to feed our biological level static patterns, even if fourth
    level insights change their shape (and motivation).'
    Just as fourth level insights teach us that we can feed our biological level
    patterns of value in better ways than with junk food, they also teach me
    that I can feed my social level patterns of value in better ways than with
    blind following of whoever imposes himself as leader and DQ insights teach
    me that I can feed my intellectual level patterns of value in better ways
    than with myth, ritual, magic and other low quality intellectual (!)
    symbolism.