Re: MD Changes

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 22:12:00 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    PLATT
    > I don't know where the number 7 came from. I was thinking of 2, at most
    > 3. And it could just as well be 2 or 3 husbands for one wife. If limited
    in
    > this way, Rick's argument based on "social unrest" loses its punch...

    RICK
        The number 7 came from DMB's post. But it doesn't matter how many
    multiple-spouses are at issue anyway. You don't even have to use a number.
    Just use "x", where 'x' = any number greater than 1. Even limiting
    polygamous (or polyandrous) rights to a mere 'x' number spouses, you would
    still need 'x' times the number of women (or men) or else someone is going
    to be mate-less. Lowering the number of permissible mates will make the
    imbalance less severe, but statistically speaking, there will still be an
    imbalance. If I marry 2 women, then some other guy will have none.

      PLATT
    > Once you change the legal and socially accepted definition of marriage
    > as between one man and one women, all sorts of marital arrangements
    > open up.

    RICK
        Yes Platt. Once we make our values less rigid, we open the door for
    Dynamic Quality. In the context of marriage, this means considering the
    possibility of marriages between two homosexuals, polygamous marriages,
    polyandrous marriages, homosexual-bigamy, homosexual polyandry, homosexual
    and bisexual group marriages... even heterosexual group marriages.
        In the MOQ, in general, given a choice of two courses to follow and all
    other things being equal, the more Dynamic choice is the more moral choice
    (LILA ch13 p183 ). This means that defenders of the social status quo have
    the burden of justifying the value of existing patterns over the value of
    dynamic change.

    PLATT
    A society that tosses out proven patterns to control biology
    > risks degeneration, as demonstrated by the 60's Hippies and explained
    > by Pirsig in Chap. 24 of Lila.

    PIRSIG (LILA ch24 p355)
    What the Metaphysics of Quality concludes is that the old Puritan and
    Victorian social codes should not be followed blindly, but should not be
    attacked blindly either. They should be dusted off and re-examined, fairly
    and impartially, to see what they were trying to accomplish and what they
    actually *did* accomplish toward building a stronger society.

    RICK
        This fair and impartial 'dusting off' and reexamining of those old
    puritanical codes is what I've been trying to do in this thread. The idea
    is to see what social goods the patterns claimed for themselves and what
    social goods (if any) they were actually accomplishing. After we've
    answered
    those question than we'll really be ready to determine whether the
    particular practice is worth preserving. Simply appealing to the MOQ cannot
    make the decision for us. All it will tell us is that we shouldn't attack or
    defend these practices "blindly," for whatever that's worth. Appealing to
    'proven patterns' won't get us anywhere either since those are the very
    things we are supposed to be scrutinizing.
        Are laws against homosexual marriage really accomplishing anything
    towards building a stronger society or are they just someone's ancient
    prejudices masquerading as 'social controls of biology'? Davor and I think
    the latter, you think the former.
         Do laws against 'multiple-partner marriages' actually accomplish
    anything towards a stronger society? I think so and I have tried to explain
    at least one of the reasons why I think those 'old Puritan and Victorian
    social codes' against bigamy do have value. That is, I've tried to explain
    what it is about bigamy that's dangerous to a society (something you seem to
    be unwilling or unable to do for me with respect to your views on gay
    marriage, i really wish you had answered my 'multiple choice' question from
    my post to you on 3/15). I think the laws against bigamy were trying to
    keep the social statistics in such a balance as to give each individual an
    equal opportunity to find a mate. Preventing social unrest is one very
    practical reason for doing so.
        Another reason might be to keep greater variety in the gene pool (10
    women bearing children for different fathers will surely produce greater
    variety than 10 women all bearing children for the same father). Greater
    variety in the gene pool will surely increase the potential for creating
    Dynamic individuals. I mean really, where would we all be today if Maynard
    Pirsig was prevented from mating with Harriet Sjobeck-Pirsig because she was
    already the 3rd wife of some other man?

    take care,
    rick