RE: MD Life after death?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 22:34:34 GMT

    DMB:

    > DMB said yesterday:
    > In addition to the symbolic, intellectual interpretation of life after
    > death as a reference to the mystical experience, there is death as a
    > literal, biological event too. The earliest planting cultures could see
    > that new life sprang from death. They could see new green shoots sticking
    > up out of the fallen tree trunk and such. This basic motif evolves so that
    > we soon get the seasonal regicide, as in Fraizer's Golden Bough, etc.. The
    > sacrifice of God's only son is directly related to the ritual and literal
    > human sacrifice that we see all over the world. The central American people
    > took it to the extent that were almost constantly sacrificing people
    > Death brings life, round and round, that's what the perennial philosophy
    > seems to say. Life is a bloody and murderous affair.
    >
    > Today, DMB adds:
    > Death brings life, round and round. Campbell's HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES
    > contains a very nice description of the perennial philosophy's view on
    > this. I thought I'd posted it a year or so ago, but can't find it. The book
    > is home too, but a paraphrase from memory should express the idea well
    > enough. All religions essentially say that we emerge out of the ground of
    > being, are guided and supported by that ground during our period of
    > manifestation and return to it upon death. One can see this in
    > Christianity, we're created by God, this life is all about working out a
    > personal relationship with God and, hopefully, you'll go to heaven and be
    > with God after you die. Pirsig's ponderings, clearly, are more along the
    > lines of re-incarnation, or transmigration of the soul. And just to throw a
    > kink into the mix, I'm fascinated by so-called "near death experiences".

    Me too. I've read a lot of biological-neurological explanations but I'm not
    convinced it's just the machinations of a dying brain. What do you
    suppose is going on?

    Also, in a previous post you said, "The social level not only civilizes the
    animal in us, it opens the human heart to transcendent realms." Two
    questions: How would you describe the "human heart," and do the
    "transcendent realms" you refer to have anything to do with what one
    might encounter at death?

    Thanks.

    Platt