Re: MD Nifty move.

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 15:07:24 GMT

    All,

    Since Squonk's supposedly leaving, I will make one last call out to all who
    read the forum:

    If there is anybody out there who feels as though Squonk was on to
    something in his "criticisms" of my philosophical projects, I would
    strongly urge those people to take up the cause for him. My hope in doing
    so is that if somebody else can possibly see what Squonk is after, maybe
    they can explain it to me.

    The deal is, I really do want it explained to me. Squonk so clearly sees
    me as a degenerate piece of scum to be eradicated from the coaxial cables
    that it makes me wonder what this utter blind spot of mine could
    be. Squonk has hinted around that I've made amazingly stupid philosophical
    blunders, but whenever he becomes specific they turn into little
    quibbles. But people don't get worked up over quibbles, so I still wonder
    if there still are blunders out there.

    So, to everyone out there, be ye old or young, a regular poster or a first
    timer, if you think I've made a mistake (following Squonk or not following
    Squonk) and you've never said anything before (yes, Platt and DMB, I've
    heard what you guys think already ;-), I would ask that you speak your
    mind. I'm not a bully. I try to respond thoughtfully and kindly to all
    those who respond thoughtfully and kindly to me. I have recieved many
    thoughtful criticisms over the years privately and I've always enjoyed
    them. So, if you are new and feel the climate isn't quite right on the
    public forum (which I wouldn't blame you) and would rather e-mail me
    privately, go ahead.

    I just want to figure out what the hell Squonk has been talking about for
    the last 6 months.

    Matt

    p.s. I'm aware that Squonk's entire point could be that I haven't made the
    mysterious shift to a "new understanding," as he alluded to in his parting
    post. The funny thing that Squonk seems to never have realized is that my
    very first post in my new guise as pragmatist was on the subject of
    argumentation and how making the shift to a new understanding is almost
    never an act of argumentation. So, I've never expected great perceptual
    shifts by arguing. Most of the time I try not to argue. But, if this is
    Squonk's entire point, then there is only one response: it does very little
    to help my shifting of perceptions to call me names. The "new
    understanding," if and when it ever comes, will happen
    inexplicably. Something will simply cause me to have a wonderful, new
    lease on life. The only thing I can do is remain an ironist, somebody who
    knows that her current understanding isn't the True One, that no
    understanding is the True One. An ironist is somebody who wishes to
    experience as many alternate vocabularies and understandings as she can, in
    the hopes of improving her own vocabulary and understanding. I have been
    promoting the ironist perspective and I think I have taken the ironic
    turn. Outside of that, I don't think there is anything else I can
    do. Belittling me or anybody else certainly doesn't help.