Re: MD Pirsig the postmodernist?

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:55:16 GMT

    Hi Matt,

    I've been away too.

    > Matt:
    > Since you asked me for an expansion (one I will give in a moment), I was
    > hoping you could briefly expand on 'intellect as Platonist'. I have
    strong
    > feeling I would agree, I just want to know a bit more clearly what it
    > is.

    Now that I've read the Kingsley book, I'm a bit more aware that I am
    sometimes careless when I use the term 'Platonist'. Perhaps neo-Platonist
    would be more accurate, ie that the intellect is the highest value, and that
    it depends upon a particular Socratic/definitional/essentialist approach to
    be developed; plus which, it is best developed when divorced from emotions.
    That probably summarises what I think neo-Platonism and Pirsig have in
    common re the intellect.

    > I assume what you want me to summarize is the second half of that
    > statement.

    Actually it was both bits, but I think I get the appearance/reality
    distinction.

    > As
    > pragmatists would have it, the mistake of mysticism is to think that
    > reality is an object that one needs to move towards. This is the same
    > mistake we charge modernists with when they hypostatize Truth and Goodness
    > and make them objects of inquiry, something we need to move towards.

    OK, I see the point, but (as always) we need to remember that not all
    mysticisms are the same. In the 'Cloud of Unknowing' all concepts are
    abandoned - so, I would argue, the classical Christian mystics don't see
    reality(God) as an object. It's all about stopping the mind's grasping (ie
    leading the fly out of the fly-bottle, to use Wittgenstein's image).

    > This is why I find Pirsig's "mysticism," his refusal to
    > define Quality, so in link with Rorty. Rorty doesn't think we should
    > search after an underlying reality, either; we are always and everywhere
    in
    > touch with it. So I struggle with Pirsig's mysticism because it wants to
    > incorporate an appearance/reality distinction while repudiating it by
    > saying we are always in touch with Reality. Or, at least, it is very easy
    > to read Pirsig as incorporating an appearance/reality distinction and
    > people do on a regular basis.

    You haven't (yet) convinced me on this. I think you're taking his language a
    bit too literally. Is there anything other than that quote from chapter 5 on
    which to base this conflation of appearance/reality and mysticism in Pirsig?
    I see the logical point you're making, I'm just not sure that Pirsig is
    guilty of it. Then again, he is open to variable interpretations!

    Cheers
    Sam