Re: MD Philosophy and Theology

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 17:15:19 GMT

    Hi Rick,

    > RICK
    > You have become confused Sam. "Theology" does not equal "religion".
    In
    > the MoQ, neither Islam nor Christianity operate at the Intellectual level.
    > You will notice that the SODV paper cites "church" as a social pattern.
    > Theology is an intellectual pattern because it is the methods of reason
    and
    > rationality applied to social patterns of religion. But that doesn't make
    > religion itself an intellectual pattern. That is, the fact that "theology"
    > (the study of religion) is an intellectual pattern doesn't mean that
    > Christianity (an object of theology) is an intellectual pattern anymore
    than
    > the fact that entomology (the study of insects) is an intellectual pattern
    > means that a cockroach (an object of entomology) is an intellectual
    pattern.

    Fair point, to an extent. I should have said something like 'Islamic
    theology operates at the intellectual level'. To my way of thinking
    'religion' includes both social and intellectual level aspects, so theology
    does not equal religion, it is included in religion. Moreover, I don't think
    that theology stands in the same relationship to Christianity (or Islam)
    that entomology does to cockroaches. I would say there is an internal
    relationship between the two, not an 'objective' relationship in the way you
    describe.

    Sam