Re: MD Intellectual Art (Dynamic Morality)

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 17:39:11 BST

    Hi Platt, Steve,

    A brief comment on an interesting thread:

    S:
    > > I'll think more about it, but my feeling right now is that aesthetic
    > > patterns are on a higher level than intellectual. Sam talked about the
    > > "three bests" a while back--the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.
    These
    > > words may describe high quality on three distinct levels.

    Platt:
    > Yes. My question is does "Good" encompass the True and the
    > Beautiful, or does the "Beautiful" stand above the Good and the True? I
    > favor the latter. Maybe the order should be Beautiful on top, then Good,
    > then True, with True the equivalent of Pirsig's intellectual level.

    Of the three, I think the True is the most derivative (ie we choose world
    views, within which 'truth' is determined, on the basis of what is good and
    beautiful). I'm not certain whether to put the Good or the Beautiful highest
    (or indeed, quite how to discriminate them at the extremes); ultimately they
    both collapse into what I think of as God, which is the source of it all -
    both Good and Beautiful (and True, of course!).

    Sam