RE: MD Philosophy and Theology

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 19:37:03 BST

    Sam, Rick, Scott and all philosophers:

    SAM WROTE:
    Where I am uncomfortable is thinking that this process of abstraction
    provides a cognitively superior viewpoint - I would deny that.

    SAM ALSO WROTE:
    The essential conceit which I object to is the notion that there is 'neutral
    ground' from which it is possible to impartially assess the truth claims of
    different religious beliefs (ie 'objectively').

    RICK RESPONDED:
        In light of these two comments, the question arises whether objective
    reason needs to be a "neutral ground" in order to be "a cognitively superior
    viewpoint". I don't believe it does. That is, I do think that knowledge
    rooted in objectivity is superior to (ie. better than) knowledge rooted in
    faith, though I don't believe objectivity to be a truly 'neutral' viewpoint
    (as I understand your use of the term). It isn't a neutral source of truth,
    it's just a better source of truth.

    DMB SAYS:
    I think these discussions about objectivity, neutral ground and emotionless
    abstractions are really just tangets to the original objection, and have
    only served as a distraction. I think they are not directly relevant because
    the objection was not about metaphysical claims or final truth claims. I'd
    simply objected that, to the extent that it is tied to sectarian religion,
    theology begins with the conclusion. I don't mean "conclusion" in the same
    sense that has been raised with respect to underlying assumptions of
    scientific materialism or anything else. I was referring to something far
    less subtle than that, more along the lines of Father Son and the Holy
    Ghost, not the existence of substance in a quantum universe. I'm talking
    about big conclusions like our origins, meaning and purpose of life, not the
    assumption that reason and rationality are valuable.

    SECTARIAN adj. 1.) Of or pertaining to sectaries or sects. 2.) narrowly
    confined or devoted to a particular sect. 3.) narrowly confined or limited
    in interest, purpose, scope, etc. -noun 4.) a member of a sect. 5.) a
    bigoted or narow-minded adherent of a sect.

    An objection that it "begins with the conclusion", is simply pointing out
    that perhaps the difference between what's social and what's intellectual
    can be demonstrated by the tension between doctrinal authority and
    intellectual freedom. My questions about and objections to putting theology
    on the fourth level revolve around that. Its not just a matter of whether or
    not the church officals will admit the earth is round, its about the aims
    and purposes of that mode of study. Is it fair to say that theologians are
    encouraged or even free to question the Church's central doctrines? The
    distinction between social and intellectual levels, in this case, seems to
    revolve around the issue of authority and freedom.

    Tanks for your time,
    DMB