Re: MD God relieves from suffering?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 17:47:03 BST

    Hi Wim:

    > Transcendence cannot be caught in an image or formula, transcendence
    > happens, occurs, befalls you, is an experience that is unconditional and
    > universally binding.

    Yes. Undeniably true. Transcendent experiences always come as a
    surprise.

    > Our postmodern culture has forgot how to think in
    > those terms. Everyone is allowed to have his or her own image of god; we
    > will respect him or her in it. I have no problems with that; it is a
    > necessary stage, the stage of not charging others with heresy anymore; it
    > all fits with my idea that we are dealing with our own images if we talk
    > about god. If that is all, the postmodern emptiness looms ahead, in which
    > everything is allowed and nothing matters anymore.

    Yes. The postmodern view is bleak indeed, especially when you
    consider the words of one its spokesman, Richard Rorty, who asserts
    that "the distinction between morality and prudence, and the term
    'moral' itself, are no longer very useful."

    Platt