Re: MD Undeniable Facts

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 16:30:28 BST

    Scott:

    Platt
    > > What do you think of defining a philosphical axiom as a concept that has
    > > to be accepted and used in the process of denying it?

    > I would guess that you would get a lot of logical conundrums, but not a
    > very useful philosophy.

    > >Examples:
    > >
    > > What is, is.

    > Let's see. Suppose I deny that what is, is.
    > This implies that there is
    > something that is, but is not. How about, "This statement is not".

    A self-refuting statement.

    > Another question: how can I use this axiom. What can I substitute for the
    > word "What". A unicorn?

    Sure. A unicorn is.

    > > Consciousness is the faculty of perceiving what is.

    > Well, you have defined "consciousness" as "perception", now what is
    > perception? But, I admit, I know how to use the word "perception" for the
    > most part. So since last night I perceived a unicorn in my dreams, I can
    > conclude that a unicorn is.

    Right. In your dreams.

    > > What is is possessed by identity.

    > This one I just disagree with, since I assume it defines "possessed by
    > identity" to be synonymous to "what is". However, I deem identity to exist
    > only by virtue of difference, and vice versa (for which I appeal to the
    > logic of contradictory identity, no less).

    Right.

    > Anyway, on whether an axiomatic philosophy is possible, I doubt it. The
    > virtue of a mathematical axiomatic system is that there is no need to go
    > outside the axioms for further explication. (Not true, actually, since one
    > needs the "rules for using an axiomatic system" which somehow one "just
    > knows", but let it go).
    >
    > The only way I could see doing something similar in philosophy is to also
    > borrow from mathematics that virtue. Here, for example, are the Peano
    > axioms for arithmetic, which establish how one is to use 'number', '0', and
    > 'successor of':
    >
    > 0 is a number.
    > If n is a number, then the successor of n is a number.
    > For all n (n a number) 0 is not the successor of n.
    > If the successor of n = the successor of m (n and m numbers) then n = m. If
    > a property P holds for 0 and if for any n (n a number) if P holds for n
    > then P holds for the successor of n, then P holds for all numbers.
    >
    > (Note, all the surrounding verbiage, e.g. If..then.., and "a property holds
    > for..", etc. can all be put into the formalism of first order predicate
    > calculus, which is presupposed here.)
    >
    > The point being that these axioms implicitly define 'number', '0', and
    > 'successor of', with no implication to or from anything outside the system.
    > I don't know how to do that in philosophy, but if one did, I think one
    > would be very deep in postmodern-land. In fact, in my pursuit of an "ironic
    > metaphysics" I have sometimes pondered trying to incorporate this approach.
    > But since it would require the logic of contradictory identity, and not
    > first order predicate calculus, I suspect I am not going to get very far.

    I bow to your superior mathematical mind. You lost me beginning with
    "Here for example are the Peano axioms . . .

    But would you agree that Pirsig's use of Quality and it's subdivisions
    static and Dynamic are, for his philosophy, axiomatic?

    Platt