Re: MD What is a living being?

From: phyllis bergiel (neilfl@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 16:59:38 BST

    Hi Platt:

    New species, I don't know. But evolution is such a slow process. I think
    we need to look for incremental changes, such as (I don't have a citation)
    but remember hearing about rabbits living at airports that are born deaf,
    the internal organs were getting smaller with each generation. Obviously
    those with less hearing are less stressed, etc. If this combines with other
    changes, is it the beginning of a new species? Biologically, I believe
    species classification has to do with ability to interbreed.

    And, in that case, we have some new possibilities - our domestic breeding of
    animals has created some very interesting problems. We have created some
    dogs breeds that would not be viable without surgical intervention (American
    bulldogs), and certainly our cross-species, cross phylum bio engineering
    raises new questions about what constitutes a species. I hope Jonathan (or
    anyone else with this expertise) will jump in to clarify.

    Phyllis