Re: MD What is a living being?

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 17:47:27 BST

    Hey Sam,

    > I'm gratified that you think the essay is worth a whole 'review' ...

    I put 'review' in quotes because I didn't want to oversell it. It's really
    just a post where I briefly respond to your conception of the fourth level
    (which I am happy to report that I am very fond of). I'm hoping to have it
    out sometime in the next few weeks (my 'MoQ minutes' are still pretty few
    and far between).

    ...but I'd quibble a little with
    > something you said:
    >
    > : RICK
    > : I think you're right. I don't think Pirsig's vision of the MoQ sees
    humans
    > : as the pinnacle of evolution (which is why he justifies human rights on
    the
    > : basis of the protection of more highly evolved 'ideas'.) To Pirsig, the
    > : human being is just another link the evolutionary chain. Sam's recent
    > : 'Eudiamonic MoQ' essay presents a conception of the MoQ which does make
    > : human individuals the crowning acheivement of evolution.
    >
    > I think autonomous individuals do stand at the top of the evolutionary
    tree (in precisely the same
    > way that Pirsig thinks 'intellect' stands at the top) but I don't think
    that evolution has come to
    > an end, so 'crowning achievement' is misleading. Who knows what will come
    next?

    Sorry. Didn't mean to misrepresent your thoughts. I probably should have
    said something like: the 'current' crowning achievement of evolution.

    take care
    rick