Re: MD The mythology of science

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 15:03:20 BST

    Hi David (and Phyllis),

    I thought this was of interest, taken from the latest 'Economist', a review of AC Grayling's "What
    is Good? The search for the best way to live":

    "AC Grayling, an academic philosopher, has a fiercer subject in view: he wants to track men's
    arguments about the nature and source of morality by expounding the evils of religion and lauding
    the progress of science. Religion, of course, deserves all it gets from him as a means of oppression
    and a cause of war. Darkness descends for Mr Grayling, as for most modern philosophers, around the
    5th Century, lifting only with the Enlightenment. Even after this, the struggle against recidivism,
    superstition and fundamentalism can never be relaxed for a moment...."

    et cetera et cetera et cetera

    Although the 'mythology' was in my own words, I didn't make it up. For background, see the Midgley
    book I referenced, or perhaps Roy Porter's 'Enlightenment'. Or a newspaper article by Dawkins or
    Dennett or similar.

    Sam