Re: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 14:17:53 BST

    Hi Steve,

    > I've been considering making it a bit of a summer project to look into the
    > MOQ from a child development point of view. I usually read discussion and
    > Pirsig wrote mostly about the evolution of the levels in history and
    > debating dating of emergence, but looking at the emergence of the levels in
    > the experience of a child may be just as enlightening.
    >
    > My hypothesis is that a child should progress through the MOQ levels as it
    > matures in the same order that the levels evolved.
    >
    > Within this same proposed project, I want to also compare Kolberg's
    > hierarchy of moral development (Pre-conventional, conventional,
    > post-conventional levels) with the MOQ levels.
    >
    > Has anyone already looked into the MOQ from a child development point of
    > view that I could read in the archives? Does anyone think that this sounds
    > like an especially good or bad project? Platt, I remember an example with a
    > baby in Lila, do you know of any other instances where Pirsig touches on
    > this idea?

    I don't recall any places where Pirsig talks about child development other
    than what he wrote Chapter 7. Coincidentally I was studying that passage
    when your question came in. It seems to me that the biological pattern of
    a human baby (or any animal for that matter) gets as close to pure
    experience (and thus Quality) as anything we can imagine. This presumes
    that all entities, which are static patterns in the MoQ, possess the inner
    capability to experience and thus be cognizant of Quality, there being no
    separation between experience/Quality. Only humans when they develop as
    Pirsig describes in Chap. 7 start to make distinctions and begin "seeing"
    objects, derived from and a step away from undifferentiated primary
    experience/Quality. So I look at my cat and conclude he experiences
    Quality like a newborn baby, pure and unadulterated by social or
    intellectual patterns. Like a baby, my cat understands the Q world
    perfectly, i.e., some things are better than others.

    In other places, Pirsig talks about how Indian children brought up
    'naturally' are ill-equipped to adjust to the white man's urban life, and
    how Victorian children brought up under the philosophy of 'spare the rod
    and spoil the child' fared better when social codes were broken by the
    60's hippies. A particularly poignant passage about children occurs in
    Chap. 26:

    "A child in a money-society will draw pictures of coins that are larger
    than a child in a primitive culture. Moreover the money-society children
    overestimate the size of a coin in proportion to the value of the coin.
    Poor children will overestimate more than rich ones."(26)

    So socialization of children begins at an early age, adding social
    patterns to the bio-patterns that comprise the object we call a human
    being. Then, later in school come the intellectual patterns of logic,
    measurement (grades) and scientific 'objectivity.' Seems human development
    follows the levels fairly closely, some 'emerging' from within but most
    imposed from without, then internalized..

    But, I could be wrong.

    Platt