Re: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: Paul Turner (pauljturner@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 16:32:47 BST

    Hi Sam

    Some thoughts on your interesting eudaimonia argument.

    On Sunday May 25th you wrote:

    Anyhow - let's
    > look at a specific example, which, as I
    > mentioned to Wim, is for me a pretty good one. A
    > Rembrandt portrait - how is that resolvable into
    > biological and social satisfactions? (I'm assuming
    > you're still happy with 'intellect' meaning
    > logical and/or scientific?) I think there is a
    > remainder once you 'remove' the patterns that are
    > biologically or socially derived, ie the physical
    > stuff the portrait is made of, and the social
    > motivations (pay?) that bring it into being.

    There is, that remainder is intellectual quality plus
    Dynamic Quality.

    > (Shakespeare could be an alternative example). I
    > think
    > that the quality of the painting cannot be separated
    > from the emotional insight and maturity that
    > governed the 'sight' that Rembrandt brought to bear,
    > and I don't think that emotional Quality is
    > resolvable to level 2 and level 3 patterns.
    >
    > : To back up my case, I give you Pirsig's
    > testimony::
    > :
    > : "The MOQ sees emotions as a biological response to
    > quality and not the
    > : same thing as quality." (Lila's Child)
    >
    > I don't think Pirsig has a good handle on emotions,
    > and this is possibly the major part of my
    > disagreement with him (that's why it's my #1
    > objection).

    I would say that emotion is biological response plus
    social meaning.

    I agree that emotions begin as a
    > biological
    > response to quality, but I think they 'scale up'
    > with each level, ie shame is a socially constructed
    > emotion.

    The ‘blushing’ or similar response is biological, the
    context and meaning is social. The concept of ‘shame’
    is intellectual. The idea that 'shame is a social
    construct' is also intellectual.

    In the same way, I think the ability to
    > think for oneself (a key part of level 4, I think
    > we agree) (and as opposed to simply thinking, which
    > I think happens in level 3) is dependent upon
    > emotional maturity, ie the development of the
    > virtues, which are focussed on the individual not
    > the
    > society within which that individual is born. Those
    > virtues I think are emotional constructions, not
    > intellectual constructions.

    Having publicly struggled with the MOQ definition of a
    human being, I concluded the following:

    The ‘individual’ is an inorganic field of stable
    quantum probabilities, organised by DNA into a
    coherent biological body, many social people, a
    collection of concepts and ideas and with a Dynamic
    awareness.

    Perhaps it is Dynamic awareness that you refer to when
    you talk of emotional maturity and individual
    autonomy?

    Cheers

    Paul