RE: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 21:27:41 BST

    Sam and all MOQers:

    Sam said:
    Seems like I'm going to have to get hold of at least one book by Wilber (how
    to choose amongst the
    plethora?), just to give substance to why I don't 'get' him (although, of
    course, I could be bowled
    over by his analysis). I'm just unclear as to what he adds to his
    'colligation' of the various
    thinkers, other than the new vocabulary of 'holons' and 'holarchies' etc.
    Why shouldn't people just
    read Erikson and Maslow first - and then, if they see quality in Wilber, see
    what his comments on
    them might add?

    dmb says:
    You underestimate the scope of his work. He doesn't just add comments to the
    work of others, he's trying to synthesize all the major hierarchical systems
    into a single picture, one that describes a universe that is evolutionary
    and developmental from head to toe. Its not so hard too see why each of the
    previous systems were incomplete. Some are premodern, some are flatlandish,
    some are specialized like Maslow's, some only deal with individuals, some
    only deal with cultural or intellectual evolution. Guys like Maslow simply
    weren't doing such grand things, but their work is remarkable consistent the
    most unrelated and surprizing hierarchies, such as is found in the premodern
    perrenial philosophy. Its as if certain universal principles could be found
    in many different places and contexts throughout history, but each of them
    expressed only a partial picture or an incomplete picture of the whole, or
    whatever. (In a simpler version of this, Alan Watts combined the rituals of
    the Catholic and Orthodox churches to demonstate the complete cycle in the
    hero's journey as described by Campbell, who in turn also wove a whole
    picture by synthesizing disparate elements.)

    Sam said:
    And nobody ever came back to me on why he should be characterised as a
    'scholar',
    given his biography, which made me a bit suspicious. I wonder if there is
    anyone on this list who
    has *become* a fan of Wilber following all the references to him that have
    been made, or whether
    people arrive at the discussion having either read or not read him, and
    become confirmed in that
    stance from all the extracts? Just curious.

    dmb says:
    Credentials carry SOME weight in my view of things, but me thinks thou doest
    protest too much. In 1905, when his theory of special relativity was
    published, Einstein was a clerk in a patent office. And he barely got out of
    school with it. Pirsig doesn't work in Academia either. I guess the only to
    do is read a book and see for yourself. It looks pretty scholarly to me.

    dmb said previously:
    Your insistence that a footnote from LILA'S CHILD defines the
    intellectual level as the ability to "manipulate symbols" also reduces the
    4th level to mere abstraction.

    Sam replied:
    Interesting. When I disagree with Pirsig, it's 'outrageous' and
    'narcissism'. Yet when you disagree
    with Pirsig, that's OK? Why shouldn't we use Pirsig's clarifications of the
    MoQ to better understand
    his position?

    dmb says:
    Firstly, the narcissism charge. Sorry about that. I probably went too far
    there cause I was bugged. You'd said you didn't respond to "the main thrust"
    of my argument because you didn't recognize its relation to your own views.
    You've done the same sort of thing a number of times and I find it very
    frustrating. Its like I want to talk about ideas and the world and you want
    to talk about what Sam thinks. Narcissism struck me as a good word, but I
    wasn't thinking of it in terms of borderline psychosis, I just meant that it
    was rude to brush off a person's main point for such a reason. I mean, its
    hard to imagine how one could slam the breaks on a conversation any faster.
    To ignore or otherwise avoid the main thrust of what the other person is
    saying is a sure fire way to trash the debate, don't you think?

    Secondly, I'm not saying that we have to choose between the MOQ as it is in
    Lila on one hand and that single quote from Lila's Child. I'm saying you are
    incorrect to think they are in conflict. The quote from LC is a very
    specific answer to a very specific question. (One which is never included
    with the quote.) But one thing is for sure. That comment does NOT erase the
    MOQ as prestented in LILA. Its just a supplimental thought. The
    clarifications presented in LC, by the way, do not clear up problems in the
    orignal MOQ so much as they clear up the misconceptions of readers.

    DMB