RE: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 21:15:06 BST

    >dmb says to Sam:
    >The first three are social level values? You mean ethics, values and
    >morals?
    >The idea that these are not invited to the intellectual party is exactly
    >Pirsig's criticism of SOM and he says instead that they exist at every
    >level
    >of reality. Everything. Even the chair and even the bum of the philosopher
    >who sits upon it.

    The moral value patterns that we call intellectual are not the same patterns
    of the other levels, though of course they are all moral patterns of value
    and as such try to make themselves stronger. Ethics I would say is an
    intellectual concept that dosn't exist at levels one through three, and is
    not equivelent at all to morality, or even the "morals" that we associate
    with society. Using ethics there with morals and values indicates that you
    are thinking of social moral codes only, which are not the same as the
    Morality that exists at every level. They are all made of that Morality
    though - the social moral patterns (not ethical codes, but moral patterns)
    are morality just like the intellectual and inorganic patterns are morality,
    and have the same reality to them.

    So I think Pirsig says that intellectual patterns have a reliance on lower
    patterns, but not that lower patterns "exist at every level" and are invited
    to the intellectual party. Patterns exist at their level only. The lower
    levels may be the caterers and valets at the intellectual party, but that's
    it, they are otherwise ignored.

    Johnny