Re: MD Free Will

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 23:28:47 BST

    Hi all,

    Free Will seems to be one of those SOM Platypi--the sort of issue that gets
    resolved in the MOQ.

    The issue is whether the cause of human behavior lies in the human subject
    or in external objective reality. But if subjects and objects are
    deductions from Quality, then neither free will of the subject nor
    determinism by objective reality represents the cause of human behavior.

    It seems that the question, "do we have free will" needs to be unasked
    within the MOQ context. Or at least reworked.

    In the MOQ, a sense of free will is an intellectual pattern of value. It
    can be recognized whenever we think, "I did it because..." a phrase which is
    the basis of all intellectual patterns of value since they are latched as
    copied rationales (If you agree with Wim as I do). Only humans have free
    will since only humans participate in intellectual patterns. In other
    words, in the MOQ intellect and free will refer to the same human capacity--
    that of applying a rationale to motivate action.

    If you can't resist thinking about it in SOM terms, I still think it makes
    sense to say that the MOQ affirms free will since it says that Quality is
    that which everything responds to. We do what we value. To further say
    that we do not have a choice in what we value is irrelevant to free will,
    unless you define free will in some kooky way like the capacity not to
    prefer what we prefer. That sounds like nonsense to me. To desire free
    will as we all do would then be to prefer to be able to not prefer what we
    prefer. Kooky.

    Thanks,
    Steve