Re: MD Structuralism in Pirsig

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 18:12:22 BST

    All,

    DMB sighed:
    Sigh. This is not an argument or an explanation. As presented, as usual, its
    just a slogan. I honestly wonder what in the world you're talking about. I
    mean, please, for god's sake, give me a real world example of an
    "ahistorical, universal, privileged metaposition". What strange creature
    does this fancy phrase refer to? The divine right of kings? Who posits such
    metapositions except for religious fanatics? And if the MOQ paints a picture
    of a constantly evolving dynamic reality, then what in the world does this
    phrase have to do with Pirsig's work? Examples. I need examples. Sigh.

    Matt:
    Yep, that was a slogan. The strange creature it refers to are metaphysicians.

    I want to apologize to the people who wanted me to reply to DMB with examples. The problem I have is that I've unpacked almost every slogan I use on this website many, many times. I've given examples of textual evidence many, many times. I no longer have any desire to reply if DMB is the only one that doesn't get it or remember it. If anybody cares to respond for me by elaborating the position or hunting down old posts, being as several people have at least understood my position, and a few are even sympathetic to it, by my guest. If nobody does and you are a person who cares and really wants to know, you can e-mail a post to this website, or e-mail me privately. If you do it privately I'm want to take more time and care with it.

    Again, my apologies to attentive philosophers everywhere.

    Matt