Re: MD MOQ human development and the levels

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 16:16:36 BST

    Hi Paul, DMB,

    Paul, I'm really glad you are taking on the social/intellectual distinction.

    Paul said:
    > Democracy and federal laws are a set of intellectual
    > rules for social quality.
    > 'In the MOQ, laws are a species of intellectual
    >patterns that are associated with a lot of social
    >authority and are slow to change.'

    Paul:
    > I've provided a definition of the social and
    > intellectual levels and given lots of examples. What
    > are your definitions, David?

    Steve:
    Based on the quotes you provided, clearly DMB uses different definitions of
    the static levels than Pirsig does. You should know that DMB also
    considers some human beings to be biological patterns of values (e.g. Lila),
    others to be social patterns of value (e.g. Rigel), and still others to be
    intellectual patterns of values (e.g. DMB)--also directly contradicted by
    one of the quotes you cited from Lila's Child.

    DMB would consider a school that teaches one set of beliefs (say, the
    schools that gave Afghanistan the Taliban) to be a different type of pattern
    of value than one which teaches a different set of beliefs (say, MIT). He
    would consider a person who holds one set of beliefs to be a different type
    of pov than one who holds different beliefs.

    It is interesting to talk about what patterns of value dominate the behavior
    of the people or the teaching of the school, but it doesn't make sense to me
    to make a metaphysical distinction in kind between two human beings or
    between two schools as we would between a dog and a scientific law or an
    atom and a government.

    I suspect that there is an important distinction between "being dominated
    by" a particular type of pattern and actually being a particular type of
    pattern that would be useful here. Also of issue would be the sorts of
    things we try to classify as a pattern. For example, how do we think of a
    law, a country, gravity, a family, church, and so on as a pattern of
    experience instead of as a "thing"?

    I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's thoughts about distinguishing
    intellectual and social patterns.

    Thanks,
    Steve