MD myths and symbols

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 00:04:43 BST

    All MOQers:

    Squank said:
    However, you are wrong to suggest the intellect has been developing for
    3,000 years and not before that cut off point:

    Pirsig said:
    "Digging back into ancient Greek history, to THE TIME WHEN THIS
    MYTHOS-TO-LOGOS TRANSITION WAS TAKING PLACE..."

    dmb says;
    I ready posted this quote several times. How could you possible miss it.
    Pirsig explicitly puts the birth of the intellect back with the ancient
    Greeks, the height of which was about 450 BC. I was generous and and pushed
    it back to include the pre-Socratics and make the ration easy to see.
    (30:160) To push it back any further just flatly contradicts Pirsig (and
    Barfielf and Wilber) on this point.

    Squank said:
    The intellect has been evolving since symbols have been manipulated by the
    mind, which includes culture, rhetoric and thinking about myth before
    philosophy. That is more than 3,000.
    squonk

    dmb says:
    Later in the same chapter (30) Pirsig discusses the distinction between
    mythos and logos, which is alot like the distinction between mythical
    thinking and logical thinking. I think it clearly shows that you are quite
    mistaken to equate the two.

    PIRSIG:
    "These rituals may be the connecting link between social and intellectual
    levels of evolution. One can imagine primitive song-rituals and
    dance-rituals associated with certain certain cosmology stories, myths,
    which generated the first primitive religions. From these the FIRST
    INTELLECTUAL TRUTHS could have been DERIVED."

    dmb says:
    Clearly the people telling each other these myths and cosmology stories
    were able to talk and think and hold beliefs about the world, but its a huge
    mistake to confuse this with intellect. You've confused the symbolic logic
    of intellect with the metaphorical nature of myth and ritual.