Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 23:17:55 BST

    Hi Johnny,

    JOHNNY
    > Me too, but I want to point out that there is an internal contradiction
    > there. If the intellectual level love is all about individualization, or
    > personal, each person seeing themselves as the person to please, their own
    > eudaimonia the highest goal, how does that relate to loving someone else?

    RICK
    You've confused Eudaimonia with mere "self-interest". Go read Sam's essay
    again.

     JOHNNY
    > Adultery is very clear cut, it's entirely biological.

    RICK
    Way to think outside the box J :-). But seriously, the particular mix of
    self-righteousness and value rigidity that a statement like this indicates
    is downright intellectually scary. Besides, the term "adultery" isn't a
    part of the term "emotional cheating", so if it's semantics you're worried
    about, you're objecting to nothing.

    > >RICK
    > >Well, in the legal past, adultery was the only recognized ground for
    > >divorce.

    JOHNNY
    > What convenient snapshot of history are you selecting from now? I think
    > liberal divorce laws of most states right before the changes in the 70's
    > were highly evolved and should be what we are use as our standard in this
    > discussion as the alternative to current laws. Things like abuse,
    > alcoholism, and neglect were grounds for divorce, but barrenness and
    getting
    > fat weren't.

    RICK
    First off, "getting fat" still isn't a recognized cause of divorce (if my
    snapshot was selective yours is outright fictitious). Second, "barrenness"
    wasn't (and still isn't) a ground for divorce because it always has been
    (and still is) a ground for "annulment" (I'll assume you know what the
    difference is). Finally, while cruel and inhuman treatment, alcoholism
    (substance abuse) and neglect were among the recognized Common Law actions
    for divorce, most states (like my own NY) overrode the Common Law by statute
    and made the available remedy for such actions a judicially ordered 'legal
    separation', which could only be converted into a divorce after years of the
    fulfillment of harsh and often impossible conditions. Even the states that
    did adopt the Common Law causes of action made them all but unattainable.
    I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough for you... perhaps I should have said
    adultery was the only grounds for divorce 'effectively' recognized by
    statute in most states. The trends during which most states have made the
    Common Law remedies more convenient and widely available didn't really come
    on until several decades ago. However, even if it is to be regarded only as
    a 'thought experiment', my example to Sam still stands as a conceivable
    situation in which putting eros over agape may be the most moral course.

    take care
    rick

    Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - R. Bach
    (Illusions)