Re: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 10:57:55 BST

    Hi Squonk,

    > sq: Fair enough. Please don't think i am trying to indulge in a bit of
    > Christian bashing here, but are you trying to, 'Do an Aquinas' by fusing
    > Christianity with the MoQ - like Aquinas did with Aristotle and Christianity?
    > Come on, the game's up! ;)
    > It's a bit of shame you don't embrace MoQ terms? But as a Christian, that's
    > not going to happen is it? I should just forget trying to twist your arm
    > shouldn't i?
    > squonk

    I tried to be open about the Christian background to my views in the essay (and they have surely
    become obvious in correspondence!!) so yes: I see Christianity as an intellectual system of higher
    value than the 'standard' MoQ, and my 'eudaimonic' MoQ is an attempt to preserve what I see of
    quality in the MoQ in a form that can be reconciled with Christian faith (as I understand it). I
    think it is legitimate to still describe it as *A* MoQ though, as it keeps what I see as the central
    features - a division between static and dynamic, the notion of value as a governing reality, the
    fourfold division of static patterns etc etc. What I have changed is the conception of level 4, in
    the aid of (IMHO) both clarity and sense.

    Doing an Aquinas is an attracive proposition, but my thinking bears the same relation to that as the
    egg bears to the chicken. ("I am but an egg" - Michael, in Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land).

    Cheers

    Sam

    "Phaedrus is fascinated too by the description of the motive of 'duty toward self' which is an
    almost exact translation of the Sanskrit word 'dharma', sometimes described as the 'one' of the
    Hindus. Can the 'dharma' of the Hindus and the 'virtue' of the Ancient Greeks be identical?" - The
    Eudaimonic MoQ says yes. "Lightning hits!"