Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 04:04:39 BST

    Hi Johnny,

    I've tried sending this post through twice already and won't seem to come through... I sent it through as a whole, and nothing. I sent through in two halves, and nothing So now I'm going to try one last time and send it through as 5 parts. To avoid confusion in case the earlier ones I sent eventually come through, I've marked these as "Take 3" at the tops. Sorry about all the hassle (and I hope this works). If it doesn't well... we'll figure it out.

    TAKE 3 - Pt.1/5

    Hey Johnny,
    A legal education is very expensive and here I am giving it to you for
    free.... :-)

    JOHNNY
    > woah check out this law:
    > http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/272-17.htm
    > It was ammended last year (I read the papers and saw nothing about it!)
    It
    > was clearly amended to make it illegal to do things that don't fit the
    > definition of sexual intercourse. Good to see those reps know all the
    > words. I'm not sure why those extra things are illegal for adults that
    are
    > related to each other but not strictly illegal for unrelated people...

    RICK
    Umm... Johnny... It's because it's an "incest" law. That's why it only
    applies to related people. Moreover, here's a blurb from the Mass Supreme
    Court: "Consensual conduct in private between adults is not prohibited by
    Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 272. The statutes are not designed to punish persons who
    desire privacy and who take reasonable measures to secure it (Gay & Lesbian
    Advocates & Defenders v. AG, 436 Mass. 132)."

     JOHNNY
    > My apologies if that was too graphic and too unrelated to MOQ. It is
    > definitely related to moralty though, and the discussion of how society
    > controls biology. These laws are part of it, but I think Pirsig is wrong
    > that we require a policeman to make us follow them. We enforce them
    > ourselves, when we say no.

    RICK
    Glib again... what if we don't say no? Would you say that about all of the
    laws?

    JOHNNY
      Sometimes we say no even if we want to say yes.
    > And it isn't only a rational decision based on avoiding complications and
    > pain or being faithful to someone, sometimes, beliieve it or not, people
    say
    > no because it is wrong. There are times when we could commit a victimless
    > crime and get away with it, no Pirsigian policeman around for miles. But
    we
    > don't because we know it is illegal, even if it would have increased our
    > personal happiness to do it and we otherwise wanted to.

    RICK
    No doubt. Sometimes that is the case.