Re: MD The Giant (types of patterns/types of people)

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 23:43:03 BST

    Hey Steve, Platt and all

    > Thinking of social and intellectual patterns as emerging simultaneously,
    you
    > lose the hierarchical nature of the levels. Again I ask you, how could
    you
    > say that the intellectual level is a higher level than the social level if
    > both types of patterns emerged at the same time?

    Interesting question. And I think it implies another interesting question,
    which is "Can levels get promoted?". Take this quote for example....

    PIRSIG (LILA p344)
    "The intellect's evolutionary purpose has never been to discover an ultimate
    meaning of the universe. That is a relatively recent fad. Its historical
    purpose has been to help a society find food, detect danger, and defeat
    enemies."

    This quote makes me wonder whether this historical intellect predates social
    patterning.

    Finding food, detecting danger and defeating enemies is something that every
    animal does. Eons before there were societies, or social patterns, or even
    humans, there were animals finding food, detecting danger and defeating
    enemies. When humans came on the scene, the demands of the environment
    (biological + inorganic patterns) necessitated that if they were to survive,
    like every other species, would have to come up with a way to find food,
    detect danger and defeat enemies. For whatever reason, unlike other animals
    who had evolved extra sharp senses, claws, teeth, horns, etc, etc...for
    humans, it was the brain that evolved to give them the edge needed to make
    the Darwinian cut. And for millions of years it went on like this, packs of
    biological humans using their biological brains to solve biological
    problems... really no different than packs of wolves using their teeth and
    noses to solve the same problems. At this point I would see the existence
    of only 2 levels, Inorganic and biological. The "intellect" is still no
    more than a biological pattern serving a biological purpose. Biology was
    100% of the equation that determined our behavior and thoughts.

    However, eventually there came a point where the packs of humans using their
    intellects to find food, detect danger and defeat enemies began to develop
    social patterns to solve these same problems. That is, the "biological
    intellect" invented social patterns because it figured out that social
    patterning was the best way for humans to find food, detect danger and
    defeat enemies. The more social patterns developed, the less the
    "biological intellect" itself was needed for those original evolutionary
    purposes. The problems of food, danger and enemy were best solved by
    following the social patterns and eventually, there came a point, maybe even
    a single moment in history, where the social patterns became 51% of the
    equation that determined our behavior and thoughts.... I pin that day as the
    birthday of "Society", or "the Giant". And once the Giant was in control it
    didn't take long until social patterns were invented for every conceivable
    purpose and had become so entrenched that intellect had essentially become
    all but obsolete in the quest to find food, detect danger and defeat
    enemies. It was dormant... drowned out by the social force. But more
    importantly, it was now free to 'go off on purposes of its own'. It was at
    this point that the Intellect ascended to the top of the chain, being
    finally "promoted" above society.

    I don't know... what do you think?

    > Enough for now. I've been emphasizing types of patterns of value for some
    > time and haven't gotten much response. I hope you will consider the
    "types
    > of patterns/types of people" distinction in reading Lila and that you will
    > choose to talk about patterns of value rather than types of people when
    > clarity is needed. I think it would clear up a lot of disagreement in
    this
    > discussion group.

    I think I agree with your "pattern" v "people dominated by patterns"
    distinction. People are animals who are sometimes dominated by biological
    patterns, sometimes by social patterns, and sometimes intellectual patterns.
    I like that, I'll think about it some more.

    take care
    rick

    To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on
    creating oneself endlessly. - Henri Bergson