RE: MD The Giant (types of patterns/types of people)

From: Erin N. (enoonan@kent.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 04:03:36 BST

    >===== Original Message From moq_discuss@moq.org =====
    >> Hi Steve, all,
    >Hi Johnny,
    >
    >Johnny said:
    >> You asked Platt,
    >>
    >>> Thinking of social and intellectual patterns as emerging simultaneously,
    >>> you
    >>> lose the hierarchical nature of the levels. Again I ask you, how could
    >>> you
    >>> say that the intellectual level is a higher level than the social level if
    >>> both types of patterns emerged at the same time?
    >>
    >> Good point Steve, it would seem to be just a preference to say one level
    was
    >> "higher" if that were the case. What do you think of the idea that
    >> intellectual patterns operate on social patterns, the computer for
    >> intellectual novels is society? Obviously that would mean that social
    >> patterns had to be there first.
    >
    >Steve:
    >I had a similar thought. Perhaps an appropriate analogy would be to think
    >of the patterns we call intellectual as waves in a sea of social patterns
    >which are waves in a sea of biological patterns, and so on, deeper and
    >deeper into the unfathomable sea of Quality.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Steve

    how did you know that i was going to ask for pictures:-)
    I always liked the ocean picture in thinking about quality.
    Maslow's hieararchy makes me picture mountains rather then oceans
    Something is irritating me about the Maslow comparison, but can't pinpoint
    what it is, any ideas?

    "I'm going to the ocean, the ocean forgives all....Not like those mountains,
    those damn mountains." Homer Simpson