Re: MD Racism in the forum.

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 00:31:29 BST

    Hi Steve, Sqounk, all

    Squonk didn't say Bo was delibrately being racist, and I didn't mean to
    suggest that either when I supported Squonk. My support was for subjects
    and objects being as old as quality, and the intellectual level not being
    synonomous with the S/O worldview.

    I'm not even sure I agree with squonk that saying that a culture doesn't
    have an intellectual level is so racist or derisive anyway. Good for them,
    I say. I think squonk feels this insults a culture by calling them less
    intelligent? I don't think that it does. The intelligence of a person has
    nothing to do with if intellectual patterns are being propogated through
    their thoughts and words, many intellectual patterns rather rely on
    corrupted people for their conveyance, and often thrive as patterns, while
    intellectual patterns which are more nuanced and less sexy don't get
    conveyed at all and die off.

    I don't feel that a culture is superior if it supports more intellectual
    patterns than another, nor do I think that a culture is inferior if it has
    remained entirely social. I can see that one is "fittest" for this Giant
    world, but I never felt that "fittest" meant superior, as Pirsig implies.
    That idea of evolution being infallibly toward betterness is what struck me
    as racist, that "social darwinism" that says that White culture is better
    that Zuni culture because it is "more dynamic" and has more intellectual
    patterns. It is the culture which the Giant relies on most, because it is
    easy. It has contempt for morality, not respect for morality. That's why
    it is winning, and why the Zuni powers are now broken. The Giant doesn't
    care what the race is of the culture it is using to grow and evolve though,
    it just chose one that was open to the short term Faustian bargain of
    relative material wealth in exchange for disavowing morality as truth. I
    guess it is related to the S/O divide, in that the S/O divide is based on
    there being an objective truth that can be found by stripping away our
    cultural blind spots and exposing what really exists. The Giant is the huge
    sludge dump of infrastructure needed for this search for truth and
    satisfaction material wealth.

    Johnny