Re: MD Role of imagination with beauty

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 05:10:50 BST

    Hi Matt,

    >Johnny said:
    >To harmonize or be beautiful, something has to be there for it to harmonize
    >with -static patterns.
    >
    >Rick said:
    >Agreed. Sometimes art is better when it conforms to our expectations (ie.
    >"that dialogue sounded so real, that's just how I'd expect real people to
    >talk"). On the other hand, we usually walk away disappointed when an
    >artistic creation completely conforms to our expectations (ie. "that movie
    >was so predictable, there wasn't one twist I didn't expect". It's about a
    >balance of static and dynamic elements, a harmony of the expected and the
    >unexpected.
    >
    >Johnny said:
    >That balance of Dynamic and Static you refer to is a certain expected
    >balance, there is a static pattern of how much to 'twist' a movie plot to
    >make it fresh but familiar. The changes may seem like changes, but they
    >are really just static patterns carrying forward and interacting with other
    >patterns in expected ways.
    >
    >Matt:
    >To me, this looks like subsuming DQ under static patterns, making it static
    >patterns all they down--and all the way up.

    Yes! All the way down to the first static pattern, the Word. I've been
    saying that the word is Morality, or Expectation - that dual meaning of
    being expected and moral in a probability sense, and also in a Good sense.
    Of each half deriving it's meaning from the other half and depending on the
    other half to maintain it's own existence. DQ is an illusion, brought on by
    our own existence as patterns within the whole of morality.

    Matt:
    If history were simply a matter of static pattern forming in expected ways,
    I expect that we could come up with a science of history and predict the
    ways static patterns will form.

    Why would you expect that? We've never done it before, have we?

    Matt:
      This is the dead end that Marx led us down, the hypostatization of
    History.

    Please explain this some more - what does hypostatizazisninination mean?
    Why was it a dead end? Is Marx cool, or what?

    Matt:
    Rather than saying it's static patterns "carrying forward and interacting
    with other patterns in expected ways," I would say it's static patterns
    carrying forward and interacting with other patterns in _un_expected ways.

    Well, sure, sometimes, and to us. But the goodness is carrying forward in
    the expected way, in expanding the point, rather than dispersing it. None
    of us know everything, so we can't predict anything perfectly, let alone
    everything. Would you expect us to be able to? But intersubjectively, by
    sharing our knowledge and immersing ourselves in culture, we build up great
    patterns of truth and matter and everything that is true and matters, of
    which we are individually only aware of our subjective portion. But that
    allows for unexpected things to happen to us.

    Matt:
      You have the "static patterns carrying forward and interacting with other
    patterns" bit down, because if the future weren't our static patterns
    carrying forward in some manner, we wouldn't identify the future as being
    our future. A utopic vision of the future is one in which our patterns are
    carryed forward, but there's no way to predict what this will pan out to be.
      That's what DQ is. Dynamic Quality is the unexpected burst of beauty,
    though according to convention it shouldn't be there.

    That's a nice way to define DQ, but I think we shouldn't equate any and all
    unexpected change with beauty, and if we don't attribute that less beautiful
    kind of change to DQ, what do we attribute it to? I just feel that that is
    a nice cheer-leading chant to have, go DQ go DQ, and it is necessary and
    moral to associate change with beauty, but only if we associate beauty with
    static patterns first.

    DQ to me is the force that sums all our expectations (it gave them to us in
    the first place) and carries the patterns forward in the way that maximizes
    satisfaction from individual expectations being realized (over the long
    haul, not at every moment, thus lunatics can't be satisfied by expecting to
    fly or something strange like that), which results in the most enlarged
    point, the hugest mass of patterns all expected by consciousness.

    Matt:
      And because it shouldn't be there according to convention, we can't
    explain other than in retrospection, a post hoc rationalization. This ad
    hoc explanation is tuned to the particular instance of Dynamic Quality.
    What is a dead end is if we try to go transcendental and try and set an
    explanation of what all breaks with convention will look like. That's what
    I take the hypostatization of History to be: an attempt to outflank DQ and
    call it all convention, static patterns. That's why DQ is undefined. It
    only unfolds in history, leaving behind it waves of static patterns.

    >Matt

    OK, I went and looked up "hypostatize" (It means "to attribute real
    identity to.") Do you think I trying to "go transendental" by asserting
    that history was real? History in general?!? Not merely our
    intersubjective agreements and personal recollections of it, but history in
    general? I don't believe there are any gaps or holes in history, or has
    there been or will there ever be any time when one part of the universe is
    not in real relation to every other part. Is it not history that I have
    been sitting in a couch typing a post for five minutes?

    I do call it "all static patterns", but I don't claim to trancendentally
    know them all myself, I don't have an explanation of what all breaks with
    convention will look like. I expect that I know very few of them. To
    create this "DQ" thing, apart from history, is to ignore future
    responsibility, it is bad Karma. It creates a fairy that steps in and
    provides beauty beyond our expectations. Or at least a personification, or
    deification, of that aspect of our life that we like. I think that removes
    us from history and passes the buck to DQ to ride to the rescue. You know
    we can't remove ourselves from history. History was real and the present is
    real, I don't see why it is better to not say that. What creates existence
    is believing that things are real.

    Am I over-reacting? Missing your point?

    Johnny