Re: MD Role of imagination with beauty

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 06:44:45 BST

    Hey David, Matt, and all,
    I've been having some major problems with this account recently, so forgive
    me if I fall behind on these responses a bit....

    > dmb says:
     The creative person's job, then, is to shatter the old
    > forms and render the the same "truth" in new forms, ones that refresh the
    > quality of the revelation...

    I know what you're saying here David, but I don't think creativity is always
    about rendering the "same truth" in new forms. While, no doubt, that is
    sometimes the case, I think a belief in DQ implies a belief that the truth
    can get better over time; and that therefore, one of the functions of the
    creative must be to refresh the old forms by co-opting them to render newer
    and higher quality revelations.

    take care
    rick

    Creativity arises out of the tension between spontaneity and limitations,
    the latter (like the river banks) forcing the spontaneity into the various
    forms which are essential to the work of art or poem. - Rollo May