Re: MD The Intellectual Level

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 18:13:29 BST

    Rick, Bo, and all,

    It looks to me like this is (in part) an argument over the usage of the word
    "metaphysics". So (if I'm right) I suggest distinguishing two usages. The
    first we might call "expressed metaphysics", and the second "underlying
    metaphysics", and I'll use E- and U- for shorthand. My dictionary only
    includes the first usage, but the second is, I think, also needed, though it
    could be expressed in other words, like "underlying sense of reality". But I
    would like the convenience of distinguishing between E-MOQ and U-MOQ, and
    E-SOM and U-SOM.

    So, I think it clear that an E-metaphysics is a static pattern of
    intellectual value. But it is not at all clear (to me, anyway) what a
    U-metaphysics is. This is important, since one's U-metaphysics shapes one's
    perceptions and thinking. We are all (except perhaps a Zen master or two)
    living with U-SOM, but (in this forum) desiring to live with U-MOQ. The
    presumption is, and I think it's a good presumption, that by thinking over,
    and valuing the E-MOQ, we will by and by contribute to the creation of a
    U-MOQ (in each individually, eventually, into the society). The problem,
    which has been mentioned often, is that we tend to use U-SOM to think over
    the E-MOQ. Indeed, to characterize an E-metaphysics *as* an expression of a
    U-metaphysics, comes out of U-SOM. It assumes that language is used to
    describe reality, which it clearly is, in U-SOM. But is this true of U-MOQ?
    But isn't that last question a U-SOM question?

    At this point we must start wondering if the Zen masters are right that we
    should just stop thinking about it (since "thinking about it" is a U-SOM
    activity). Now I happen to disagree with this, because I think [sic] that
    U-MOQ thinking is possible. (I don't want to get into this much at this
    point. The trick, I think, is to change the meaning of the word "about".
    Instead of seeing it as relating language to reality, think of it as
    "circling about" some particular words, like "reality", "Quality", "value",
    etc.)

    Another issue is the relation of U-metaphysics to Ultimate Reality. By
    valuing the E-MOQ, we are essentially saying that our existing U-metaphysics
    (U-SOM) is not Ultimate Reality. What does that say about the U-MOQ? If it
    becomes our U-MOQ, have we just shifted into another wrong U-metaphysics?
    That is, is the U-MOQ the same as Ultimate Reality? On the one hand, it
    would seem that we have to believe that it is, or our endeavor to create it
    is foolish. On the other, the knowledge that we are trying to create it must
    make us wonder.

    And so on, so I think I'll just cut it off here.

    - Scott