Re: MD Intellectually Nowhere

From: Joe (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 19:57:40 BST

    On 7 August 2003 1:19 AM Bo writes:

    Bo:
    Namely the "mechanism" that Pirsig touches on in LILA that all levels resist
    an outgrowths from themselves even if is a Quality growth, they only see
    corruption of own value: A biological organism just wants to live not to
    give its life for the good of the group. Society doesn't like anyone
    questioning their pillars be it religious faith or national interests, and
    now Intellect panics to see one of the its "ideas" degrading it from the
    noble position of thinking which enables it to contain all existence. And
    you all seem only too eager to serve intellect's interest.

    Hi Bo, David B, Rick B, and all,

    I think of a pattern, the law of inertia. I apply inertia to intellect by
    analogy, since inertia is derived from the inorganic order. And I see "now
    Intellect panics."

    I define intellect: "I know what I am doing." I am certain. Why should I
    distinguish between 'knowing' and 'doing' to express certainty? I want to
    add something to the sentence: "I don't know what I am doing." I add
    'intellect.' Is there an undefined intellect, and a pattern intellect?

    I examine the plot of the story "Lila". In a patterned way Lila does not
    know what she is doing. She is sort of going with the flow. On another
    level both Rigel's and the Author's actions are directly determined by what
    Lila is doing. There is plenty of undefined intellect in Lila's behavior,
    she doesn't pay any attention to it. I can make another do what I want by
    force. I am a predator. I can make another act in my interest by an
    undefined element in my behavior, the quality of rhetoric, the quality of
    what I have made of myself. The undefined is present in all the orders even
    the inorganic. I find gravity hard to define.

    I think of the moving forces of the inorganic order, gravity, weak nuclear,
    strong nuclear, electromagnetic. I think of a dynamic movement to the
    organic order. I can say that somehow the organic follows its own goal to
    survive. It has a 'purpose', a direction of its own. I add undefined
    purpose to the moving forces of the inorganic. I try to speak of 'purpose'
    as a pattern in the moving forces of the inorganic order, and I feel
    ridiculous. I keep 'purpose' undefined, and I talk about evolution.

    I manipulate patterns in my individual awareness. I reverse the undefined
    aspects.. IMO this is a part of an artistic touch that Squonk appeals to.
    My dog has fleas! My flea has dogs! The reversal is nonsense, it doesn't
    always work.

    Is my ability to manipulate undefined aspects in patterns in my awareness an
    ability of intellect? I ponder gorillas. They love each other (an emotinal
    connection). Can they speak about their love creatively, associating
    different purpose or qualities to the other they know and love? Oh! go fly
    a kite! IMO they don't grunt so specifically.

    I think it is true that my intellect panics. If I can keep my Intellect to:
    I know what I am doing!, I won't have to examine the reasons for my angst.
    I must train myself to think, feel, sense what I am doing!

    Joe