Re: MD myths and symbols

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 13:13:35 BST

    Matt,

    > Paul quoted:
    > "It is important for an understanding of the MOQ to see that although
    > 'common sense' dictates that inorganic nature came first, actually
    > 'common sense' which is A SET OF IDEAS, has to come first. This 'common
    > sense' is arrived at through a web of SOCIALLY APPROVED EVALUATIONS of
    > various alternatives. The key term here is 'evaluation', i.e. quality
    > decisions. The fundamental reality is not the common sense or the
    > objects and laws approved of by common sense but the approval itself and
    > the quality that leads to it." Lila's Child Note 97
    >
    > Platt:
    > Love the quote. It's vital.
    >
    > Matt:
    > Whoa! Whoa! Let's all take a second to catch our breathe here folks.
    >
    > Is it just me or did I just see Platt give the thumbs up to
    > intersubjective agreement?

    Since when have I endorsed "common sense." That is your mantra, your
    label for the Rorty's worldview. "Why, to believe truth is a matter of
    intersubjective agreement is just common sense," you say. On the
    contrary. To believe you have to check with your neighbor to know if
    something is true is not only nonsensical, but a threat to individual
    responsibility and liberty. Rorty's social constructions of reality are
    neo-Marxist in tone if not in fact..

    > Which is a point about
    > intersubjectivity. Which I still can't believe Platt is buying into
    > unqualitatively, unless this mark s the beginning of Platt's pragmatic
    > turn. I mean, Platt, you have been agreeing with me more lately.
    > (Though, as of last month you were still talking about universal laws
    > and stuff.)

    Yep, I making the pragmatic turn like Harold Bloom. :-)

    > Say it ain't so Platt. You made such a good foil for my insights.
    > Without you, they won't be insights, but simply common sense.

    See what I mean? You, the the king of common sense? Please, give me a
    break.

    Platt