RE: MD Rorty and Darwin

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 01:15:11 BST

    Hi David,

    I honestly cannot tell sometimes if you are really serious, obstinant, humorous,
    or just plain silly. I have not had much traditional philosophy education and I
    obviously have less than you, but come on. You are not familair with Putnam'
    "Gods eye view?" The basic arguments in epistemology? Sorry to give you the
    brush off here, but I can't believe you have no idea about such arguments. The
    tribunal is the idea that we can know with certainty what is Truth. THat it can
    be determined. Or if it can't be determined, at least we can know that there is
    a "God's eye view" that does know what Truth is. The majority of all western
    philosophy asserts there is such a tribunal. And Rorty is asserting this is not
    true. As simple as that. The tribunal is a metaphor Rorty employs for
    Philosophy in general and epistemology specifically.

    Andy