RE: MD Rorty (and Darwinism)

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 20:09:16 BST

    Wow, Scott, I certainly was using "Darwinism" as shorthand for evolution -
    though I guess I meant neo-Darwinism (as I understand it) of the Dawkins /
    Pinker variety, (though in fact I'm no fan of Dawkins outlook on life in
    general- as any readers of my own stuff will know.)

    I'm shocked at the suggestion that MoQ would reject Darwinian evolution.
    The key aspect I see fitting well with MoQ is "fitness". Clearly the
    "random" genetic mutation aspect can only apply to biological evolution,
    (including the brain and mental, social, intellectual aspects), but not all
    layers of the MoQ. However all the processes I see at work seem pretty
    analogous to neo-Darwinism to me.

    Could you suggest an example reason against this ?

    Ian