RE: MD Chance and natural selection

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 20:42:20 BST

    Scott, you said ...
    If you keep the randomness, then it is very difficult to see why natural
    selection would move things toward greater complexity. Amoebae are better
    survivors than dinosaurs, etc. Complexity adds more things that can go
    wrong, and so reduces the odds of survival (ask any computer programmer).

    Ian says ...
    Difficulty is no proof of falsity. "Complexity" is not a necessary outcome.
    Cearly in an environment where simpler equals better, Darwinian evolution
    produces simplification. Your amoeba example proves the point. I know Gould
    makes a big thing (counter to Dawkins) about bacteria being much more
    successful lifeforms than man. All I say is "better" is a value judgment
    anyway, so who's to say whether or not amoeba are better than man ?
    (Pisrig's MoQ I reply) Amoeba have pretty limited social lives (unlike
    Dinosaurs) and non-existent intellectual patterns (unlike man) I believe.

    Darwin has come a long way since his death, and I think our misunderstanding
    is that you hold a fairly primitive view of his legacy.
    My understanding of Darwinism is updated by Gould, Dawkins, Pinker and Jones
    amongst others.

    Ian