MD Socially approved evaluations

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 14:59:24 BST

    Hi all
    I found this discussion about "peer reviews" on the bbc.co.uk website. I
    think it provides a good example of how social and intellectual patterns
    are related and are in conflict:
    "Most scientific research is "peer reviewed" with other experts
    analysing the results before they are published in a scientific journal.

    The process is supposed to ensure that any study's methodology is sound
    and that interpretation of data does not go beyond what can be
    reasonably justified.
    Peer review is intended to be a "gold standard" that protects other
    scientists and the public from shoddy research and fraudulent claims.
    But the system does not satisfy everyone, and there is some concern that
    a number of journals may be publishing research just to grab headlines
    in the mainstream media.
    "I worry it has gone to tabloid newspaper-like battles about silly
    things rather than focussing on the deeper issues of the science and the
    real benefits of what it all means," Professor Robin Lovell-Badge told
    the BBC.
    The stem cell researcher resigned from the editorial board of one online
    journal after it published claims on human embryo clones that "had no
    scientific value".
    The Royal Society's vice president Sir Patrick Bateson, who will chair
    the working group, added: "Peer review has been criticised for being too
    secretive, conducted behind closed doors and assessed by anonymous
    referees".

    He said it had also been suggested the process had been used by the
    establishment to "prevent unorthodox ideas, methods and views,
    regardless of their merit, from being made public".
    But Professor Bateson stressed that peer review was a good form of
    insurance, and anyone who encountered a study - particularly journalists
    - should always ask if the science had been checked by others.
    "Stories that get into the media that haven't been properly reviewed can
    do enormous damage," he said.
    "The MMR triple vaccine was a particularly bad case where people were
    terrified because they thought that vaccinating their children would
    lead to autism, and the evidence for that was terrible."
    Paul:
    I find this statement particularly interesting:
    "He said it had also been suggested the process had been used by the
    establishment [social patterns] to "prevent unorthodox ideas, methods
    and views [intellectual patterns], regardless of their merit
    [intellectual quality], from being made public".
    The full article is at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3140261.stm
    Cheers
    Paul