MD Happiness

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 23:37:33 BST

    Wim, a second point in here ...

    In the previous mail I rattled off a list of people I know who have similar
    theories (to Maslow) about what makes people tick (in organisations) - what
    motivates us and what makes us "happy". These come from my general business
    management education, training and experience. I'm not a professional /
    qualified psychologist either.

    Several such names appear in this particular blog of mine
    http://www.psybertron.org/2002_09_01_archive.html#85507820

    Incidentally, the discussion in Lila and about Lila, and the quality level
    at which Lila operates, always rang bells with Hertzberg's version of this
    layered view of motivators. Those below you are simply hygiene, necessary to
    keep life and soul together, those above may motivate you, but if not you're
    in trouble - like Lila.

    The pigeon-holes that Myers & Briggs use, are expressly Jungian "types", and
    less obviously hierarchical layers - in fact positively not hierarchical for
    reasons of political correctness - but it's easy to spot parallels IMHO.

    I can dig up specific references for all these people if a Google search
    doesn't hit them for you.

    Ian Glendinning