Re: RE: MD economics of want and greed 4

From: ERIN NOONAN (enoonan@kent.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 18:08:43 BST

    Did you say you were a business man? Its funny because its really
    common in my experience that when I meet somebody who is really
    interested in Maslow they are also into business.
    I agree with the MOQ and disagree with Maslow's theory.
    I see some relations, like they both have levels. Surface similarity
    to me.
    Too many great works from people who lower needs were not being met in
    my opinion.
    I heard Maslow's mother kept a lock on their fridge, maybe hunger was
    the inspiration of his ideas :-)

    I thought in Lila's child Pirsig explicitly states that he doesn't say
    whether you can skip a level or not. Maslow explicitly states that you
    can't.
    As for Pirsig's model it seems less likely to me that a level can be
    skipped. Possible I guess, but can't think of any examples. But in
    Maslow's I know of way too many examples of lower levels not being met
    and even in people who are considered self-actualized (and Maslow put
    that as less then 5% of the population). Actually after reading
    Maslow's life I think he may have been one of those people. Therefore I
    don't believe his model is anywhere near as great as Pirsigs.

    Erin

    Ian Glendinning wrote:

    >Wim,
    >
    >Maslow may indeed have thought "all behavior is determined", but I have
    >say when I say Maslow I mean the sum of all modern interpretations,
    >synthesis and extensions of his output, not an analysis of how
    misguided his
    >original thinking may have been, or whether he really used any credible
    >metaphysics of any kind. (This is leading us back to nature / nurture
    and
    >evolutionary psychology again)
    >
    >The discreteness of layers, whilst still being dependent, supporting
    (even
    >conflicting) of each other is common to both Pirsig and Maslow I
    believe.
    >Although the level are discrete (in the sense of defining prototypical
    >aspects of each), that doesn't mean the boundaries don't get fuzzy
    >sometimes, as you move to the interfaces and away from the central
    >prototypes
    >
    >I used to worry about anthropomorphism too, particularly in the
    metaphorical
    >use of active verbs like the examples you cite. Now however I feel it is
    >just human nature to do so in conceptual as well as linguistic
    metaphors,
    >and provided we never forget these are metaphors I think the model is
    >workable. (It seems a truism that we can never have anything but a human
    >perspective on the world, how ever arrogant our metaphysics gets.
    Better to
    >know this than to ignore it - I say.)
    >
    >How do I see the relation between "patterns of value" and "needs" ? To
    be
    >honest I simply see a close parallel between the two frameworks - which
    >always leads me to suspect some underlying relation - more human nature
    >suspect / seek rationale. If I were a betting man, I'd say Pirsig was
    more
    >fundamental (Foucault expresses a similar general philosophical
    framework
    >too IMHO), and that Maslow was just an outcome, a corollary or evidence
    of
    >Pirsig's patterns of value at work in the world.
    >
    >Ian Glendinning

    Metaphysics