Re: MD liberals, conservatives & suffering

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 02:47:30 BST

    Sam,

    What I think it undermines is not SOM as being superceded by the MOQ, but
    the S/O divide as being superceded. Yes, SOM did not appear until the 17th
    century, in tandem with the scientific revolution. But the S/O divide had
    gradually been developing since long before then. Where Pirsig goes wrong,
    in my opinion, is that, while SOM is a high quality intellectual static
    pattern of value, the S/O divide is not, and he does not make that
    distinction. Since SOL is a given in just about every thought presented here
    and everywhere, there is no way we can say we have superceded it. SOL is
    just "there are things independent of me" (like tigers), and though we can
    claim that Quality "precedes" the divide, that does not make the divide go
    away.

    This is why I say that the S/O divide should be seen as a case of the DQ/SQ
    divide. It's too ingrained in us to be called a *static* pattern of value.
    Instead it is how the DQ/SQ divide takes form when we think, perceive, feel,
    and act, in our current stage of consciousness. Even in mathematics, where
    the thoughts are not SOL-based, there is nevertheless a perceived difference
    between the mathematician and the mathematics. Only in peak experiences is
    the divide momentarily overcome.

    - Scott