Re: MD economics of want and greed 4

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 10:40:11 BST

    Dear Ian,

    Maslow (+ modern interpretations, syntheses & extensions) may indeed be
    useful when fleshing out MoQ-based theories. (Isn't that what you implied
    too in your 29 Aug 2003 00:12:48 +0100 e-mail?)
    I think it is risky to use Maslowish categories of needs (or Wilberian
    'levels of consciousness' or ...) as 'parallel' to MoQian 'types of patterns
    of value/experience'. MoQian levels should be discrete to be entitled to an
    ontological status and to be of any use in a metaphysics. (We can do without
    subdividing static quality in levels in a MoQ, but then we are left with a
    very poor metaphysics.) I don't see how categories of needs, levels of
    consciousness etc. can be really discrete.

    You wrote:
    'I feel it is just human nature to [anthropomorphize] ... Better to know
    this than to ignore it'

    I'm not for ignoring it, of course, but for revealing and avoiding it.
    Mathematics proves that it CAN be avoided. Humanity can go beyond its
    nature, or it would never have been able to participate in social and
    especially intellectual patterns of value. Human experience is always the
    measure, but that doesn't rule out the possibility to describe coherent
    non-human experience by distinguishing it from that measure.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim