RE: MD Where things end.

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 19:16:35 BST

    Hi Bo

    Bo:
    The point of this long introduction is that I am a tired of you
    appearing
    as if I don't understand, your "sermons" are wasted, I am completely
    devoted to the MOQ, and to Pirsig for his pioneer job, but can't sweep
    the inconsistencies under the rug.

    Paul:
    But Bo, as my wasted "sermons" are trying to demonstrate, I sincerely
    think that the "inconsistencies" you have found are of your own
    invention.

    Also, with words like "sermon" you imply that I am some kind of Pirsig
    fundamentalist, defending him for the sake of it, this isn't the case.
    As you will see from my early posts, I came to this forum with a
    wariness of metaphysics but with a genuine desire to understand Pirsig
    and so questioned some of the areas I had problems with. My experience
    of learning the MOQ is that it seems easy, obvious, at first, then
    incredibly difficult, then simple again. After a lot of effort and
    letting go of assumptions it is delivering on the clarity that I
    demanded from it and to date you have given me no reason whatsoever to
    change my mind on this.

    So what I object to is not that you may think there are better ways of
    using the "Quality Idea" to explain experience but that you use the
    author's words to try and demonstrate that you have understood his ideas
    better than him! See how this looks to me? You seem to invent
    inconsistencies and "resolve" them by misreading his work to provide
    "evidence" of your "solution". I've noticed something though; you move
    the target all the time. You skip back and forth between the "solution"
    and the "problem" blurring the case for each, and it seems to me that
    the "solution" came first.

    There are two things being discussed here, so let's try and do this
    properly:

    a) Define and demonstrate the problems existing in Pirsig's MOQ without
    making reference to the interpretation required for your "solution"

    then

    b) Demonstrate that your "solution" solves the problems you have defined
    and demonstrated

    Bo:
    I know only too well the argument that the DQ is beyond everything,
    but it IS part of the MOQ in the same sense that God is part of
    Christendom and Allah is of Islam. "Ecumenism" I can't discuss here,
    but I see the SOL doing away with the container logic specter and
    that is a relief. Momentarily at least because Steve pointed to the
    difficulties a Q-level creates, but IMO also there the SOL
    interpretation
    saves the MOQ.

    Paul:
    It's funny this, your "metaphysics is reality" premise infers that a
    metaphysics should not logically be placed outside of the reality
    described by its own assumptions, but then to solve the "container
    problem" you go ahead and try to do it [rebel patterns, new levels,
    Quality Universes]. There is no need, whilst a substance based
    metaphysics has the problem of denying itself a reality and an idealist
    metaphysics is solipsistic, a static-Dynamic value based metaphysics
    allows itself to be real [static quality] but doesn't claim to be the
    whole of reality itself [static-Dynamic Quality]. So as demonstrated in
    a previous post, the "container problem" is solved by showing that value
    is not a subspecies of metaphysics but that metaphysics is a subspecies
    of value.

    Bo:
    Look. In your view the MOQ is a high intellectual pattern, no?

    Paul:
    Yes.

    Bo:
    Now, a
    development inside intellect is plainly impossible because it would
    degrade the MOQ by pushing it down on the "idea" scale.

    Paul:
    Plainly impossible? If a better idea emerges, we could be talking about
    where the MOQ fits into the framework of the better metaphysics, or we
    could improve the MOQ to take into account the better idea. Either way,
    immediate experience would remain unchanged, the metaphysical terms
    describing experience may change and bring with them new analogues, new
    perceptions and new understanding. There are countless world-views
    co-existing as we speak, eastern philosophy is very different to western
    philosophy, they deny elements of each other's reality. But as neither
    philosophy nor metaphysics is the SOURCE of reality, the denials of
    neither [static] philosophy have a direct bearing on the [dynamic]
    reality which creates them both. Our familiar world emerges as a
    relationship between static and Dynamic Quality. Remember this?:

    "Why does everybody see Quality differently? This was the question he
    had always had to answer speciously before. Now he said, "Quality is
    shapeless, formless, indescribable. To see shapes and forms is to
    intellectualize. Quality is independent of any such shapes and forms.
    The names, the shapes and forms we give Quality depend only partly on
    the Quality. They also depend partly on the a priori images we have
    accumulated in our memory. We constantly seek to find, in the Quality
    event, analogues to our previous experiences. If we didn't we'd be
    unable to act. We build up our language in terms of these analogues. We
    build up our whole culture in terms of these analogues." The reason
    people see Quality differently, he said, is because they come to it with
    different sets of analogues. He gave linguistic examples, showing that
    to us the Hindi letters da, da, and dha all sound identical to us
    because we don't have analogues to them to sensitize us to their
    differences. Similarly, most Hindi-speaking people cannot distinguish
    between da and the because they are not so sensitized. It is not
    uncommon, he said, for Indian villagers to see ghosts. But they have a
    terrible time seeing the law of gravity." [ZMM Ch.20]

    And before you say "but this is not the full MOQ!", the continuity is
    crystal clear...

    "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance left one enormous
    metaphysical problem unanswered that became the central driving reason
    for the expansion of the Metaphysics of Quality into a second book
    called Lila. This problem
    was: if Quality is a constant, why does it seem so variable? Why do
    people have different opinions about it? The answer became: The quality
    that was referred to in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance can be
    subdivided into Dynamic Quality and static quality. Dynamic Quality is a
    stream of quality events going on and on forever, always at the cutting
    edge of the present. But in the wake of this cutting edge are static
    patterns of value. These are memories, customs and patterns of nature.
    The reason there is a difference between individual evaluations of
    quality is that although Dynamic Quality is a constant, these static
    patterns are different for everyone because each person has a different
    static pattern of life history. Both the Dynamic Quality and the static
    patterns influence his final judgment. That is why there is some
    uniformity among individual value judgments but not complete
    uniformity." [SODV p.12]

    Again, I think you see all this as a problem because you do not
    distinguish between metaphysics, which is static, and reality, which is
    both static and Dynamic.

    Bo:
    Worse is a
    development beyond intellect (still in you view) which would consider
    the MOQ an "evil".

    Paul:
    As I keep saying, in terms of the nothingness of Nirvana and the
    ineffability of the Tao, the MOQ is already "evil". It differentiates
    the undifferentiated. But as Pirsig rightly points out, the only person
    who doesn't do this hasn't been born yet. My newborn daughter is already
    beginning to differentiate, but right now she is a wise old sage
    compared to me :-)

    Bo:
    I have taken the consequences of this and closed intellect by making
    it the S/O VALUE! and the MOQ the movement beyond. Admittedly,
    this also closes the circle, but at a higher level (there can't be any
    6th) but it solves the ills of the present intellect where the S/O
    divide
    alternates between being a bad idea and a great value (look to Scott's
    work).

    Paul:
    To be honest, I'm a little confused by the discussion in the "S/O
    divide" thread which is why I've kept out of it. I think the "S/O
    divide" in the MOQ is the divide between (inorganic and biological)
    static patterns of value experienced as physical sensation that we have
    learned to measure and record with instruments that extend the range of
    our senses and (social and
    intellectual) static patterns of value experienced as compelling
    impulses, behavioural influences, relationships, meanings, identity,
    memories and symbols. Therefore trying to place the divide within one
    level makes no sense to me, which doesn't make it wrong, it just doesn't
    fit in with my understanding of the MOQ at all.

    I think the S/O divide is one way of discussing static quality and is
    the common sense way in which we learn to interpret experience which has
    led to an understanding that has achieved countless great things in a
    migration toward betterness and, as such, has value. However, when it is
    taken as a hard-wired starting assumption on which to build a
    metaphysical framework for science it misses out much of what is
    immediately apprehended and leads to irreconcilable elements of
    experience and ends up in all kinds of tangles. At a more tangible
    level, it seems that somewhere along the way the achievements of this
    dualistic thinking became a self-justifying end in themselves and were
    no longer satisfied with gaining an advantage over nature but started
    trying to replace it.

    Cheers

    Paul