Re: MD Self-consciousness

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 01:56:44 BST

    Andy,

    Well, here we are at what Matt will call (and I agree) just starting from
    different final vocabularies, or dueling dogmas. Needless to say -- but I'll
    say it anyway :-), I take this whole approach to self-consciousness as being
    a necessary consequence of a prior commitment to materialism -- something I
    see no reason to commit to, and good reasons to commit against.

    Where I would say your argument falls apart is in the assumption that an
    internal model is something possible, given a strictly spatio-temporal
    universe. Yes, patterns in the brain can change on interaction with the
    environment, but there is nothing in the brain to read off the internal
    model, much less compare it to what is perceived. And that is because given
    a strictly spatio-temporal universe there can be no grasping of something
    larger than the smallest unit of communication. It all has to happen one
    photon at a time, and nothing can bring about a gestalt.

    And, again, why is consciousness, self- or otherwise, seen as something that
    needs to be explained, in material terms or otherwise? Why not take it for
    granted (since one is using it to say "it is just a way of coping")? The
    absurdity is that one tries to explain awareness in terms of the products of
    awareness (what we sense). It won't work.

    - Scott

    > However, I have come to believe that self-consciousness is only a
    > property of language. So, I don't think it really changes anything "all
    the way
    > down." It only changes how we talk about everything all the way down.
    Ameobas