RE: MD The S/O divide

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 09:24:03 BST

    DMB and Group.

    1 Sep. you wrote: (to Scott)

    Who had said:
    > We are self-conscious. Because of that, the way we perceive by senses
    > is not the way animals or plants perceive by senses. Not that I know
    > how they do, but I think being self-conscious is going to change
    > everything all the way down.

    > dmb says:
    > It might be interesting to explore HOW self-consciousness effects our
    > creature senses. I might change everything all the way down, but I
    > suspect it only modifies and mollifies in a marginal way. I mean, I
    > feel hunger differently than my dog "cricket", but not so much that we
    > can rightly call it anything other than hunger. It seems to me that
    > feelings of hunger, thirst, lust, fatigue, etc are feelings we have in
    > common with animals. I think we can "feel" the values levels within
    > and sort them out, at least to some extent. If each of us is a forest
    > of static patterns, then its not too hard to imagine that we feel the
    > pull of various and conflicting values. Naturally, this is where the
    > moral codes come in, but it seems to me that the first step is
    > learning to discriminate between our biological, social and
    > intellectual "impulses", if you will.

    As said to Scott "self-consciousness" is an arch-somish concept,
    closely knit to its mind/matter divide and can't be transferred into the
    MOQ without great transformations. S-C implies access to some
    absolute reality which is counter to MOQ's open-ended universe, and
    - most of all - counter to its value layer system.

    I have earlier hinted to the problems of the traditional (SOM) approach
    to Artificial Intelligence, that of believing that this state called
    "consciousness" suddenly appearing inside a sufficiently complex
    electronic circuit, the scary: "Ah I'm a computer, now I'll take control
    from the humans". This will never happen even if we will be able to
    grow biological brain-like computers. SOM's mind-out-of-matter (out of
    biology in this case) is invalid, as you David are the first to know.
    There is Q-intellect out of Q-society, but this has nothing to do with
    self-consciousness in the SOM sense.

    About the biological impulses (or bio value-mind) you are right. Those
    are the same for us - as organisms - as for all organisms, but social
    value-mind modifies those, you don't give free reins to them like
    animals do. Intellectual value-mind in turn modify/mollify/control the
    social impulses, and here is where the real action is. Maybe some day
    we can start to discuss these infinitely interesting things.

    Sincerely
    Bo