Re: MD Forked tongue

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 16:22:31 BST

    Dear Wim,

    > We agree that there were not human concepts around when amoebas appeared
    > in evolution and that the MoQian explanation of evolution is better than
    > 'scientific Oopsism'. Do you equate DQ to 'a "life force" including
    > "concepts" and a "purpose" in Pirsig's 'All life is a migration of
    > static patterns of quality toward Dynamic Quality'? ('Lila' ch. 11) I
    > agree as long as 'life force' and 'concepts' and 'purpose' are not
    > anthropomorphized.

    Yes, I agree to DQ being the "life force." I don't see how we can help
    not labelling such beliefs "anthropomorphic" because all beliefs, by
    definition, are human-centered.

    > I wrote that I appreciate 'emotion' and 'intuition' 'as valuable (but
    > largely unconscious) HUMAN abilities'. (emphasis added).
    >
    > You replied:
    > 'I also appreciate emotion and intuition, but also appreciate my
    > expanded consciousness which allows me to control my emotions and check
    > my intuitions against further experiences. Having these abilities is
    > "better" than not having them. If we didn't, there would be little to
    > distinguish us from the inhabitants of the biological level.'
    >
    > Do you consider HUMAN emotion and intuition indistinguishable from
    > ANIMAL emotion and intuition?

    Yes, pretty much so. I think Pirsig says somewhere that emotions have a
    biological base.

    > Do you consider expansion of consciousness
    > the essential element of evolution at the 4th level?

    Yes, definitely. Evolution for me is about expansion of consciousness,
    not about genes or bones.

    > I agree for
    > evolution at the 4th level up till the rational level, but I think
    > humanity can and does go beyond.

    How so?

    > You wrote:
    > 'Instincts and habits are great time and energy savers. Nevertheless,
    > they do serve purposes.'

    > Whose purposes? Pre- or post-behavior purposes?
    > I'd say: none of such -anthropomorphized- purposes are necessary. Only
    > DQ is (for which the question 'whose purpose?' can't be answered).

    Purpose of life, it's creation, maintenance, and expansion. How else to
    explain evolution except by the scientific "Oopsism?"

    Best regards,
    Platt