Re: MD Self-consciousness

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 00:50:01 BST

    Andy,

    (this is also a reply to your earlier post)

    It might help if I explain that my whole thinking on this arose from the
    time I was a grad student of computers/cognitive science. I was especially
    interested in computer models of language use. So I would do thought
    experiments on how people used language. This means that my interest in
    explanations was considerably greater than just "explaining how we cope". I
    needed a reductionist theory.

     It is no particular problem to come up with simple models for parsing
    simple sentences, but digging deeper, it becomes clear that a tremendous
    amount of semantic and pragmatic knowledge is involved. But even that is not
    what I finally saw as the real problem. It was: how does one get a computer
    to *see* anything as simple as a word, or even a dot on the page? That is,
    how can one imagine a machine scanning the letters t-i-g-e-r, and producing
    a mental picture of a tiger. It is no problem programming a computer to scan
    letters and produce appropriate output, but that inner picture, what
    philosophers call qualia, is a puzzle.

    The reason, I finally realized, that these thought experiments failed is
    that a computer is a perfectly spatio-temporal mechanism. Every bit is
    separated from every other bit. We can read off bit configurations as words,
    but the computer cannot. All that happens is that some bit gets set to 1 (or
    0) and some machine instruction reads that single bit to go into a routine
    to print out "I see a tiger". But nothing in a computer can grasp a million
    bits as a gestalt. So a computer can never be conscious.

    However, the same reasoning applies to the brain *considered as a
    spatio-temporal mechanism*. There have to be other things going on that are
    not spatio-temporal. But once admit that, and materialism goes out the
    window, and Sheldrake and others start to make sense.

    So I agree that we have internal models, but what I am saying is that no
    spatio-temporal mechanism can process one as a whole. Your responses are
    like Rorty's, for example when he says that our inability to identify mental
    states by viewing neural activity is "no more mysterious" than our inability
    to read a language we don't know. My response to this is that our ability to
    read a language is a complete and unfathomable mystery. So is our ability to
    see a dot on a page. It transcends space and time. A computer can be
    programmed to print "I see a dot" when a video camera is set up, etc., etc.,
    but it doesn't see it, and it can't see it because every bit is separated in
    space and/or time from every other bit, so every communication is only one
    bit being turned on or off. There is no way to amalgamate those one-bit
    "experiences".

    Now the "there's something about consciousness that I just don't see a
    computer having it" argument has been made many times. What I have tried to
    do here is pinpoint what that something is. It is that normal, everyday
    consciousness does not play by spatio-temporal rules. Given that electrons
    don't either, this shouldn't be all that hard to take in.

    - Scott