RE: MD Dealing with S/O pt 2

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 15:16:06 BST

    Continued...

    Scott:
    Now, in other reading, which makes sense to me, I find that while it is
    acknowledged that the S/O divide is of high value -- giving us science,
    notably -- it also brings suffering. Redefining the S/O divide as a
    static
    intellectual pattern is a (failing) attempt to treat the symptom, but
    does
    not cure the disease.

    Paul:
    I'm not sure if that's all the MOQ has to say about curing the
    "disease", it's all in the relationship between Dynamic Quality and
    static quality...

    "The difference between a good mechanic and a bad one, like the
    difference between a good mathematician and a bad one, is precisely this
    ability to select the good facts from the bad ones on the basis of
    quality. He has to care! This is an ability about which formal
    traditional scientific method has nothing to say. It's long past time to
    take a closer look at this qualitative preselection of facts which has
    seemed so scrupulously ignored by those who make so much of these facts
    after they are "observed." I think that it will be found that a formal
    acknowledgment of the role of Quality in the scientific process doesn't
    destroy the empirical vision at all. It expands it, strengthens it and
    brings it far closer to actual scientific practice.

    I think the basic fault that underlies the problem of stuckness is
    traditional rationality's insistence upon "objectivity," a doctrine that
    there is a divided reality of subject and object. For true science to
    take place these must be rigidly separate from each other. "You are the
    mechanic. There is the motorcycle. You are forever apart from one
    another. You do this to it. You do that to it. These will be the
    results."

    This eternally dualistic subject-object way of approaching the
    motorcycle sounds right to us because we're used to it. But it's not
    right. It's always been an artificial interpretation superimposed on
    reality. It's never been reality itself. When this duality is completely
    accepted a certain nondivided relationship between the mechanic and
    motorcycle, a craftsmanlike feeling for the work, is destroyed. When
    traditional rationality divides the world into subjects and objects it
    shuts out Quality, and when you're really stuck it's Quality, not any
    subjects or objects, that tells you where you ought to go.

    By returning our attention to Quality it is hoped that we can get
    technological work out of the noncaring subject-object dualism and back
    into craftsmanlike self-involved reality again, which will reveal to us
    the facts we need when we are stuck." [ZMM Ch.24]

    The closer you get to the Dynamic Quality, the less divided subject and
    object are, the more experience will open up with inspiration,
    creativity and excellence. That's it really. We miss it because we are
    always doing things to achieve a specific result so that our mind is
    focussed on what we already expect. I think this is what Zen Buddhism
    aims to break through, koans with no solutions, "just sitting", because
    what they want to transmit is not at the target but at the very centre
    of the purposeless tension of the Zen archer.

    Scott:
    For that we need to examine the S/O divide more
    deeply. The first thing to notice is that I, a self, a subject, do not
    feel
    static. The S/O form of experience is dynamic, so it doesn't make much
    sense
    to call the S/O divide a static anything.

    Paul:
    Are you really saying that the S/O form of experience is dynamic in the
    Pirsigian sense of undifferentiated, undefined and unknowable?

    Scott:
    (Strictly speaking, Pirsig calls
    SOM a static pattern of intellectual quality, but since he doesn't
    explicitly distinguish SOM from S/O thinking, and because of his
    definition
    of 'subjective' and 'objective', one concludes, like Squonk, that "there
    are
    no subjects and objects in the MOQ".)

    Paul:
    As explained above, "subjects" and "objects" are symbols which aggregate
    two different types of experience into general terms. Subject-object
    metaphysics would be a pattern which takes the symbols as a starting
    point to construct a conceptual model of reality. The MOQ does not take
    those symbols as a starting point to construct a model of reality, it
    takes value as a starting point and categorises the same experience but
    in a different way [and, crucially, refers to a previously ignored
    pre-intellectual element of experience]. As such, the experience
    symbolically aggregated into subjects and objects by SOM is symbolically
    aggregated into four static levels by Pirsig. Therefore you can choose
    to refer to patterns of value as subjects and objects or subjective and
    objective but it is not necessary.

    Scott:
    Furthermore, in analyzing subjects and objects, one finds something
    curious...

    b) Whenever we attempt to analyze mental operations, we run into what I
    call
    (following Nishida) the logic of contradictory identity. For example
    (one
    I've used before), we are aware of time as a succession of events, and
    of
    time as duration. These two awarenesses are mutually contradictory, but
    also
    mutually constituting: awareness of succession requires the awareness of

    duration, and vice versa. This logic also applies to the DQ/SQ split,
    though
    Pirsig does not go into this.

    Paul:
    Please explain further. I don't quite see this.

    Scott:
     So rather than multiply entities, I propose
    that the S/O divide be seen as a case of the DQ/SQ split.

    Paul:
    Does that not make the MOQ another subject-object based metaphysics?

    Scott:
    Awareness creates
    subject and object, thinking creates thinker and thought, and so on.
    Normal
    mental activity is DQ/SQ tension, which we know as subject/object
    tension.
    In applying the logic of contradictory identity to subjects and objects
    we
    accomplish two things: we deconstruct the self (and objects) without
    destroying it (and them), and we gain insight into the DQ/SQ split.

    Paul:
    I don't see what this achieves that the MOQ doesn't. But I don't really
    understand the proposal yet.

    In summary, the main problem you have with the MOQ is that its claims
    about the pre-intellectual empirical reality of value don't agree with
    your experience, which you feel is entirely that of a subject
    experiencing objects, is that fair?

    Cheers

    Paul