Re: Sheldrake (MD economics of want and greed 4)

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 00:55:21 BST

    Hi David,

    You said: "Well evolution means that life forms have changed over time. Pretty
    sure they have evolved from more simple to complex, and that species have dies
    out and others have emerged. Darwinism=a mechanism to account for this
    evolution.
    And I am with Karl Poepper when he says that it is clearly not a testable
    scientific hypothesis, but has proved to be a useful research programme."

    Andy: A useful research programme is good enough for me.

    You said: "When I say read the science journals I mean that I am less
    optimistic than you that science has come to a theoretical dead end with
    Darwin."

    Andy: I don't know where I said or implied this. If I did I take it back.

    You said: "I think the success of Darwinism is simply the success of accepting
    that we need to explains biology in the context of evolution. Yes, Darwinism has
    greatly added to our knowledge. Yes, Darwin was a great scientist."

    Andy: That is all I am saying. And that his influence has benefitted science
    not detracted from it.

    You said: "and the book that ends with Darwin for a few chapters is about the
    idea of evolution that was around for a some time before Darwin. But we are not
    too aware of the work in Germany in the English speaking world -never mind."

    Andy: Well, if we need to do some revisionist history, then someone can do
    that. I don't have any idea of the Germans or the Japanese, or the Chinese.
    Perhaps some Native American also proposed an evolutionary theory. I am sure
    this is all true. But Darwin is responsible for the evolutionary theory we know
    today. At least, that is how history has handed it to us.

    You said: "But, like a number of other people, I am not convinced by random
    mutations and naural selection. Sure natural selection will eliminate species
    and individuals. But random mutations?! RANDOM!"

    Andy: I am not convinced either. There are other components of random in
    evolutionary theory other than just mutations. And I am unsure of the notion of

    random. But that is another topic.

    You said: "Which a couple of wild life programmes."

    Andy: Do you mean watch?

    You said: "The complexity of bio-chemistry and life is staggering. Ever done any
    engineering and tried to get the stuff to work? Now imagine that you only do it
    by putting the parts in a box shaking them and trying again if they are no good.

    Andy: A little confused here. I am also staggered by the complexity of life.
    Everyday. What is the point?

    You said: "Go ahead I'll give you five million years to try. In the future they
    will laugh that we thought this a few hundred years after we thought the earth
    was flat."

    Andy: And a few hundred years after that someone else will be laughing at them
    for their theories. People laugh at me right now--every day. Why should we be
    concerned what people will care in five hundred years.

    You said: "Fine, you find Darwinism convincing. I do not."

    Andy: I don't find it convincing as in it is true. I find it has been a very

    useful theory.

    You said: "PS I am obviously not a fundmentalist."

    Andy: Thank God!!--uh.. I mean, Darwin. :)

    You ask: "How could Darwinism ever produce animal instincts?"

    Andy: Darwinism doesn't produce animal instincts, but some theorists have use
    Darwinism to explain them.

    You Ask: "How do genes produce behaviour?"

    Andy: I don't think Genes produce behavior. Genes store information.
    Darwinism explains how this information is passed over generations. Jeez, Now I
    really got to think--remember. There are two types of information passed in
    ...Oh, damn! Now I have to dig out my old textbooks. Where the hell are they?

    You said: "I think this is a confusion of levels. That Darwinists try to explain
    such things show that they are very confused."

    Andy: Or we all are.

    You said: "A wasp knows how to paralyse a caterpiller without killing it so its
    young can grow inside it and feed off of it. Random mutations?! The wasp seems

    to have precision knowledge of the nervous system of the caterpiller."

    Andy: Amazing isn't it. Now these are the examples I remember Sheldrake
    giving. And I also believe there has been some consensus in the journals or the
    evolutionary community, that natural selection in evolution can explain these
    precise traits in nature just fine. I am not going to. because I can't. Just
    like I can't tell you how chinamen don't fall off the bottom of the Earth. I
    will let the physicists and the biologists do that.

    You said: "I do not believe in design as a useful explanation either. Not just
    so confident that we have really got to grips with what is going on here."

    Andy: Of course we don't.

    You said: "Most people cannot think out of the Darwinism box because there is no
    other game in town."

    Andy: I am waiting for someone to suggest another game. Until then I will the
    most useful thing we have.

    You said: Don't mean its right.

    Andy: I never said it was

    You said: "There are a number of well known problems with neo-Darwinism but
    there a very few suggestions as to how they can be addressed."

    Andy: So what are we to do then?

    You suggest: You should read Peter Bowler's book on the history of the idea of
    evolution, it is very interesting to see what people thought before Darwin in
    the same way as it is good to go back to the Greeks to look at a non-Christian
    perspective.

    Andy: I am sure it would be good. I might put it in the pile. But, time is
    short.

    You said: "My disbelief about our current understanding of biology is similar to
    what the cosmolgists feel about the laws of physics when they refer to the
    anthropicprinciple."

    Andy: uh?

    You said: I would also recommend Prigogine's The End Of Certainty as putting a
    big question mark over how the different levels of complex systems are not fully
    dependent on the lower ones. If this is the case how can genes cause their
    structure, if they don't how can the selection of genes explain evolution? As R
    Sheldrake says, genes make enzymes, do enzymes build bodies?"

    Andy: I read Prigogine. I don't remember him endorsing Sheldrake. I have made
    the point about levels of complex systems many times. YOur questions on genes
    is a good one? I do not know the answer.

    You said: We really do not know as much as some people imply.

    Andy: definately agreed!

    You said: "Most of Darwinism is 'plausible speculation' by their
    own admission. It is annoying.

    Andy: Why do you find that annoying? I would call that integrity and honesty.

    You said: "We know evolution must have taken place but we cannot come up with a
    good explanation for it."

    Andy: We have come up with a good explanation for it. We can improve upon it
    though.

    You said: "See the book by the anthropologist Jeremy Narby for a possible was in
    which information is passed from the environment to genes, rather than by
    slection only."

    Andy: Please, enough with the reading list already. I have a library overe
    here of unread books I need to get to.

    You said: "He comes up with his strange suggestion by asking certain S.American
    tribes how they got such amazing knowledge of the properties of plants."

    Andy: Sounds interesting. But I don't think this would refute darwinism or
    make it unuseful

    You said: "darwin, yes great, had its day, I am more interested in what are the
    possible future developments in natural science."

    Andy: I am interested in that also. I don't find the interests mutually exclusive.

    You suggest..again: " You should also read some of Robert M Young as he is a
    world authority on the history of Darwinism, here's his site:
    http://human-nature.com/rmyoung/papers/index.html"

    Andy: Thanks for the suggestion. I am always looking for an authority. But,
    really, is this how you go through life. SOmeone says something and you
    recommend they should read so and so. I mean, I have gotten a lot of useful
    knowledge out of books. I love books. I have my head buried in a book more
    often than I have it buried between my wife's thighs, and don't think she hasn't
    made mention of this amidst threats for divorce. You have read some things and
    I have read lther things. Neither of us is any closer to any truths. We are
    not getting closer. When Darwinism is replaced we will be no closer to the
    truth of the matter. We will only have found a theory which better helps us to
    cope. And IU will rejoice with you when that day comes. In fact it has already
    come and it changes everyday.

    Thanks
    Andy

    regards