Re: MD Forked tongue

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 13:56:08 BST

    Dear Wim,

    Guess we're having problems understanding one another.

    > Distinguishing self and non-self doesn't require a distinction between
    > subject and object, let alone a metaphysical one. It is just the
    > distinction between the patterns of value one identifies with and those
    > one doesn't identify with.

    For me, self/nonself is a disguised version of the S/O division, the
    same as self/other. Agree the S/O division is about patterns of value,
    but I don't see where my identifying myself with one or the other side
    of the division has any effect on the division itself. Other disguised
    S/O divisions include:

    appearance/reality
    faith/knowledge
    ideal/real
    individual/collective
    nurture/nature
    ought/is
    purpose/chance
    quality/quantity
    reflection/source
    soul/body
    theory/practice
    us/them
    values/facts
    within/without

    > Contemplation as I understand it is only a limited extension of
    > rationality. For me human intuition and emotion (that differ from animal
    > intution and emotion by employing symbols) are the primary ways to
    > transcend ego-centered rationality.

    First, I don't understand why rationality is ego-centered. Secondly, I
    don't understand what you mean by intuition and emotion employing
    symbols. Are the Christian cross and the Communist hammer and sickle
    examples of emotional symbols? What would be an example of an intuition
    symbol?

    > By repeating 6 Sep. 'Life's purpose.' in reply to my 'Whose purpose?',
    > do you mean that life doesn't HAVE these purposes but GIVES those
    > purposes?? We were talking about an alternative explanation of evolution
    > for scientific 'oopsism'. You suggested purposeful creation by a 'life
    > force' as alternative. If we humans grant purposes on behalf of life
    > (being part of it) or on behalf of that 'life force' (embodying it), as
    > you suggested 6 Sep., that can hardly be an explanation of evolution,
    > can it? That would imply explaining creation from an activity of one of
    > its creatures. I agree with equating DQ with such a 'life force', but
    > only as purpose, not as purpose-giver. DQ and that 'life force' are then
    > purposes without a subject that grants them. Patterns of value 'migrate
    > towards DQ'. No-one is guiding them. That's no 'oopsism' in disguise.
    > It's just the 'natural' result of 'patterns' being only 'patterns' and
    > no 'absolutely enforced laws'.

    I don't understand your distinction between having a purpose and giving
    a purpose. To me, the life force has within itself the purpose of
    creating, maintaining and expanding itself, just as within you and I is
    a purpose to maintain our ability to have purposes. Life creates both
    by itself and through the activity of its creations.

    To me, the life force is the same as universal consciousness. Our
    brain, an overgrown bulb of nerve tissue, taps into this consciousness.
    Of course, scientific materialism rejects any notion of an independent
    consciousness having it's own purposes and creative powers. Instead it
    relies on "chance" to explain what it can't grab and toss into its
    little cage of measurable phenomena. Of course, as you and I agree,
    when science invokes "chance" it really means "We don't know."

    Regards,
    Platt